School scaling\ranking (1 Viewer)

FinalFantasy

HSC
does ranking at school matter?
lets say i get 90% in a ext. 2 maths test... but everyone else in my class gets better den me.. so i get rank last...
and another person from another school who is not as good as me, gets rank 1 from his school, bcoz his class members are not good..

so would i be disadvantaged if i have people in my extension 2. group who are all better??

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
In situations like this it all depends on your School's HSC exam performance.

e.g.

Student A gets 90% in his school, but comes last. As a result, his moderated assessment mark is equal to the lowest HSC exam mark in his School.

Student B comes first with only a mark of 50%.

Now, say Student A performs very similarly in the HSC exam as with his School, i.e. achieves a HSC mark of approximately 90 which happens to be the lowest HSC mark in his year. As a result his moderated assessment mark becomes 90. (Which is a very good mark).

Now, say Student B performs just as similarly in the HSC as in his School as well. As such he achieves a HSC exam mark of about 60. Which happens to be the highest HSC exam mark in his school. As a result, his moderated assessment mark is equal to the highest HSC exam mark because he was ranked first. So he receives 60 as his moderated assessment mark.

As you can see from these examples, ranking, although important, doesn't mean a low rank will equal to a low mark.

mack

Banned
HSC
Will he be affected by scaling since hes very close to (within 10% obviously) to the first ranking? BOS take that into account dont they? They surely couldnt just look at the ranking and base everything from that.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
If the person is ranked first he is totally immune to any scaling. That person will always attain the highest HSC exam mark as his moderated assessment mark.

If he was not ranked first, the relative difference in marks between the students are taken into consideration.

Teleph

Look mum i'm a Starrrr
HSC
so is the rank you obtain at the end of year for your school final ? U relative difference in marks are taken into consideration. Does it mean that if you perform very well in the HSC you might get a higher moderated mark then your rank give u ?

In another word does UAC take HSC performance into consideration and just say you are ranked like 60th for physics in your school and the 60th ranked HSC mark for physics in your school is a 70 but your HSC mark for physics is a 95. Instead of having a mark of (70+90)/2 which is 80, do you have any chance of getting a higher moderated mark such as a 85+ or something ?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Yes the final rank you get in school is final. Though school's don't tend to release this until around november. Your report would most likely display your Trial rankings/marks.

Your HSC performance is not taken into consideration when moderating unless you are ranked first or last in which you attain the highest/lowest HSC exam as your moderated assessment mark.

If you do very well in the HSC but your ranks in school isn't too good, then the average is (in your case) still (70+90)/2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)