School students and the right to take part in strike action (2 Viewers)

Generator

HSC
N/A
NSW secondary students 'not allowed' to attend strike
Last Update: Tuesday, May 30, 2006. 12:00pm (AEST)

New South Wales Education Minister Carmel Tebbutt says she will not be giving permission for secondary students to attend a national students' strike against the Federal Government's industrial relations laws.

A group of students yesterday asked the State Government to recognise the right of high school students to take part in the strike this Thursday.

One of the strike organiser and university student, Simon Cunich, says students should be allowed to take part, as the Federal Government's WorkChoices legislation affects them.

Ms Tebbutt says the place for secondary students is in school.

"Students need to be in school, students can only be away from school if they've got the permission from their parents for a valid reason," she said.

"The NSW Government has made very clear its opposition to the WorkChoices legislation but students need to be in school and I won't be giving my permission for students to be away from school on the day."

Source: ABC Online
What do you (as a current or former secondary school student) think of the Minister's decision? As a school student, should an individual be free to attend a strike if they so choose, no matter the requirements of the Education Department and/or whatever their parents/guardians may say?

tigerian

HSC
N/A
Generator said:
What do you (as a current or former secondary school student) think of the Minister's decision? As a school student, should an individual be free to attend a strike if they so choose, no matter the requirements of the Education Department and/or whatever their parents/guardians may say?
What about if I, as a teacher, set an in class assessment task for that day as my school has. There are two on that day on purpose.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
It can't be called any more of an infringement on their 'rights' any more than the fact that they legally have to be at school every day from 5 - 15 already is.

davin

HSC
N/A
they're allowed to attend so long as its not during school hours.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
i think u need the permission of the parents/guardians, otherwise the school will be held liable to any injuries/misadventure that occurs.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
If over 18 and adults I say yes strike, under 18 though and you are not adult and therefore are whilst in school the responsibility of the state.

Thoughts are muddled and i'm tired but i think i made the point..

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Some school students have jobs as well and it will affect them. Oh and tigerian I'd skip your assessment cause you're a tosser.

davin

HSC
N/A
Some school students have jobs as well and it will affect them.
so why can't they just skip going to work to attend?

Generator

HSC
N/A
davin said:
so why can't they just skip going to work to attend?

I know that you are merely twisting the question in order to make a point, but surely you know why your question doesn't even deserve a proper reply given that the answer is more than apparent to anyone with an ounce of sense?

Last edited:

davin

HSC
N/A
well, issue is....i would think, they can attend. there just will be consequences or punishments for going

tigerian

HSC
N/A
davin said:
well, issue is....i would think, they can attend. there just will be consequences or punishments for going
Exactly right. it comes down to priorities

tigerian

HSC
N/A
transcendent said:
Some school students have jobs as well and it will affect them. Oh and tigerian I'd skip your assessment cause you're a tosser.

cause you're a tosser.- correct, And your point is?

Last edited:

Justin

HSC
lol, student strike. hahaha..

Oh no, the nations economy will be crippled if the arts students don't attent their lectures for a day! Wont somebody please think of the children.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
omg is this gonna happen tomorrow? 1st of june or something.

so stupid.. they had like stalls outdoors telling uni people to write their name down so they can do the "strike".
I mean.. come on, i take my own strikes any day. just as long as the day is filled with boring lectures.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)