• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

School Texts; The Dark Side. (1 Viewer)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
I figured that with the 'School Texts' providing what constituted the best of texts, a thread in which we could relate the nature of the many and/or few (depending on your experience), the turgid, the nonsensical, the worst of texts, the horror...the horror...

My particular list comes entirely from my junior years (7-10)... In almost all cases, I've blocked the composers out of my memory. Too traumatic.

-Shiloh (An 'insight' into the lives of a group of rednecks. I hate to sound intolerant, but the tone of this text is extremely annoying.. Seriously, the first line is Ma makes pie real good for dinner on Sunday. Only positive that can be said is it's brevity, yet it felt much longer for it...)
-The Great Gilly Hopkins (The feelings of the protagonist switched so rapidly that it almost gave me whiplash. Within the space of about two pages, it goes from I hated living here[/]i] to I loved living here, without really providing any adequate justification.)
-The Handmaiden's Tale. (I think this was it.. Very bland.)
Robin Klein-People Might Hear You (Again, rather inane and/or uninteresting..)
-David Brin-The Postman (The novel wasn't that great, although for some bizarre reason, most of my class enjoyed it.. Loses 10 000 000 points for resulting in my having to watch that egotistical abortion of an 'adaption' in class.. Stretched on for hours.)

There were more than these (Including poor works such as 'Firestorm' and 'Playing Beattie Bow'.), but the memories of some have again been blocked out, temporarily, possibly waiting to give me PTBD (Post-Terrible Book Disorder).

But yes, what are your personal selections for this list of textual infamy?

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by spin spin sugar
hahaha Playing Beattie Bow... ohhh the horror

others i recall being awful:

-Came back to show you i could fly
-The paperchaser
Quite the traumatic text.. Were you 'lucky' enough to see the film adaption? Even worse than the book, if that's possible..

Luckily, never had to read those two.. Mind expounding upon their plots and what makes them so terrible?

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Jane Eyre - Tried so hard, but couldn't find the motivation to struggle through it.

Othello - I love Shakespeare, but Othello stretched it a bit. Is my least favourite play i've read so far.

The Life and Crimes Of Harry Lavender - Yawn, yawn, yawn.

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
Originally posted by Ms 12
Songs of innocence and experience was the only shocker I can remember
i quite lyk that.. haha but then again i am a fan of coleridge, wordsworth, keats, shelley and all da poets of the Romantic era.... v fond of the emphasis on the organic and the imagination.

Originally posted by Daemontreu
I hated Maestro. I was bored to death - and it isn't even a very long book.
i lyked that too... i thought it was touching...

i hate Emma ... and anything of Austen's dont lyk hte passive female stuff... Bladerunner would have beign soo much betta...

Die Hard was also shit for extension..

Huck Finn was even worse...

Heart of Darnkess was v good....

and i dont lyk any of that shakespeare stuff....

s2ophie

HSC
The prime of ms Jean brodie. stupid stupid book

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by truly-in-bliss
i lyked that too... i thought it was touching...
It was the character I didn't like. When you don't like the main character, the book becomes a chore. Just out of curiousity (because I can't see it), how was it touching?

sei

HSC
Heart of Darnkess was v good....
We did that in EE1 in Yr 11.. it would be pretty heavy going without a teacher explaining it a bit.. but a pretty good read, and we watched the film (Apocalypse Now) afterwards...

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Originally posted by sei
We did that in EE1 in Yr 11.. it would be pretty heavy going without a teacher explaining it a bit.. but a pretty good read, and we watched the film (Apocalypse Now) afterwards...
So did we... but I never got quite through the book lol.

A bad one from junior school was called The Owl Service... it was terrible. And we also read one caled Amish Adventure that was very boring. Also The Machine Gunners because I had read it in primary school.... actually when I think about it these are all books that this semi insane and hopeless english teacher made us read lol. That was a bad year for english.

s2ophie

HSC
I did Heart of Darkness in one night. heavy stuff!

Another one is Tess of the d'Urbervilles. Obviously it is a classic for a reason but i just hated Tess. she was just so bloody annoying! But it was very nice for a related in I&S!

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I can't read that heavy Victorian era stuff, like Jane Eyre and Pride & Prejudice. It makes me fall asleep.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by Loz#1
I can't read that heavy Victorian era stuff, like Jane Eyre and Pride & Prejudice. It makes me fall asleep.
saaame. i mean i see why people like it and all, but blegh, it is just not to my taste.. it's so boring and stuffy

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Hehe ur not going to like Persuasion then!

I felt the same way when we had to read Pride & Prejudice on last year in ext (we were comparing it with Bridget Jones' diary), I couldn't get through the first page, but when assessment was nearing and I had not choice but to read it, I ended up loving it. I think the trick is to battle through the first couple of chapters and get yourself into it...

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
Originally posted by Daemontreu
It was the character I didn't like. When you don't like the main character, the book becomes a chore. Just out of curiousity (because I can't see it), how was it touching?
i dunt remember.... wasnt there a twist in the end or somthing? i rmemeber i cried thatz all... but that was in yr 8.. and bk then i would cry a lot when i read a sad book.. haha

Originally posted by sei
u go to st geroge?

Originally posted by Loz#1
i hate passive female stories.....it makes meeh wanna crab a bucket..esp jane eyre......always do the bloody right thing.. hahah

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Myeah... but all of Austens stuff ends up seeming predictable after a while. Although, must say, Emma was a light and fluffy read. :) Easy on the brain.

sei

HSC
Originally posted by s2ophie
I did Heart of Darkness in one night. heavy stuff!
wow, you must have been pretty motivated -that book is dense! :eek:

u go to st geroge?
nup... y?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)