• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

science advanced : mathematics and finance (1 Viewer)

aditya

HSC
hey guys,

could you please tell me anything about the mathematics finance major in science advanced? do you think you would have a good chance of getting a good, related job in the finance industry if u did this course? and does it provide sufficient support to sustain a career in teh finance industry?

also if u do psychology as a major in science advanced, can u also get into the honours year and hence work towards working as a professional psychologist?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
doubt u can do psychology as a major in sci adv... and ithink u need to do commerce to major something as concrete as finance, tho there are branches of applied maths in sci, which is similar...

aditya

HSC
no no mathematics and finance is an option for the advanced degree.. and u can major in psychology in adv maths ( i emailed em) but its not an adv course, whereas mathem and finance is...

tennille

HSC
I'm interested in advanced science. You can transfer over to medical science, can't you?

If I did Bachelor of Science, could I transfer to advance science, that it, if I achieve distinctions and all during the first year?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
@aditya: =p sorry abt that... i wasn't too sure, so thx for the info...
i can't tell u ani thing in finance part in mathematics yet, but the mathematics part is defnitely worth doing... =D uhm as to the career prosperity, there is a wide variety for applied mathematicians, also alot for pure mathematicians (most research and teachin i say... )

@tennille: if you are enrolled in a b sci degree, with no specified stream, when u graduate, the database will search if u have fulfilled the criteria to obtain a adv stream, or adv maths stream, or any stream for that matter.... if u have, they will award you with the particular stream =)

edit: yes u can transfer to b med sci from b sci =) if u do well enough

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
the question is pointless in regards to getting a job whether to do which maths...
Well thats the case for USYD, as you get a major in maths (normal or adv) by completing 24cp of senior maths. It doesn't say whether you did applied of pure. Employers go wow at maths degrees, esp adv or honours, as it shows the potential employees have strong analytical skills and good problem solving etc.
If you're going straight for a finance job or something do statistics, and maths (ie a double major).
But yeah, in most jobs you learn the stuff once you get the job anyway.

aditya

HSC
oh realli... thanks for that...

hey do you think i could call up or visit the usyd careers centre???? because they had this mad book on graduate destinations.. like it showed wat majros pepole did and what jobs they landed!!! so yeh do you think i could just rock and pretned to be a student :D or rock up in a legit way altogether :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)