• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Science/Arts @ USyd (1 Viewer)

Cykologi_gal

Psyche...
HSC
Arts is usually a three-year course + 1 year honours...but how does it fit
into a two-year course with a combined science/arts degree? Do you take arts subjects while you're doing the science degree? Thanks

Seryn

Ayreonaut
HSC
Im starting the same course and am a little confused myself. Im not sure how they fit two 3-year degrees into 5 years. Perhaps we have to restrict ourselves in not choosing as many units as in a single degree. Or maybe we just have to work harder.
As for your second question im pretty sure it works that you can either of the following:
- for the first three years you can do 3/4 Science units and 1/4 arts units. Then you spend the last two years completing your arts degree. You can also do the opposite, i.e. 3/4 arts, 1/4 science for the first 3 years. This is the favoured method as after 3 years youve completed one degree and can drop the other if you wish.
- Or, you can bascially study 1/2 arts, 1/2 science for all 5 years, though this is discouraged.

I hope this answers your question

Generator

HSC
N/A
This is from another thread. Now, it was written with the previous degree resolutions in mind (before this year there was a BSc/BA and a BA/BSc, and this was written in order to address the BSc/BA), but it's still correct and it should adequately address any sense of confusion that you both may be experiencing -

Generator said:
No. It's a standard double degree, and though the BA follows the BSc, both degrees are truncated to the extent that the student has fewer electives than another student taking a standalone BSc or a BA - the requirements for each singular degree are met within the BSc/BA, it's just that the student doesn't haven't as much room to maneuver (for all intents and purposes non-core electives don't exist, especially with respect to the Table B majors within the BA).

In practice, the student completes the BSc in three years (Edit: This is no longer a requirement of the double, it seems), and within this time they are required to fulfill the requirements for the first year of a BA. Basically, with the 36 credit points that a regulr BSc student has to play with over the course of their degree, a BSc/BA student is required to complete however many units are necessary in order to advance to the second year of the BA come their 4th year at uni. The university suggests that the student complete 36 credit points of junior units from the Arts faculty over this three year period, but that isn't a necessity - 24 will suffice.

I'm a BSc, BA student, if anyone happens to be wondering, and I also suggest that those with questions take the time to read through the university's website. The following links in particular appear to be quite useful -

Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Science
Combined Science Degrees - Science & Arts
As for the Honours year/s, it's/they're taken in addition to the standard degree programme.

---

http://www.usyd.edu.au/handbooks/science/05_undergradregs.shtml#bsc

The degree resolutions.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Most single degrees are packed with a lot of crap that you don't need. Hence the docking of a year.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
Sorry guys.

I'm still a bit unclear on this double degree: We complete a B Sci degree first and then a BA in the 4th and 5th year right? Or is it while we complete the B Sci degree, we choose some Arts subject to fill up the cp?

Any help appreciated.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
While you're doing to your science degree you fill like 36 or so cp of electives with arts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)