Science Subjects (1 Viewer)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
There's only 2 classes of Senior Science in my school next year :p You can't do any of the other science subjects if you wanna do Senior Science. Bio is by far the most popular subject out of the sciences, whereas physics is the least popular.

Last edited:

PrettyVacant

HSC
We don't have Senior Science or Earth and Environmental Science, so technically I'm doing all the Science my school can offer.:)

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
PrettyVacant said:
We don't have Senior Science or Earth and Environmental Science, so technically I'm doing all the Science my school can offer.:)
That's like our school. Only I'm not doing any Sciences. :D

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Shame the school put Physics and Bio on the same line. Would have loved to do all three Sciences.

Jachie said:
That's like our school. Only I'm not doing any Sciences.
You just love your English and Humanities subjects :p

Last edited:
HSC
Kujah said:
Shame the school put Physics and Bio on the same line. Would have loved to do all three Sciences.
Your school fucked up right there...they shouldnt make you do one or the other, you should be allowed to do both. Although...if were up to me it'd be an easy choice. I hated bio anyway, physics logical choice.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
watatank said:
Your school fucked up right there...they shouldnt make you do one or the other, you should be allowed to do both. Although...if were up to me it'd be an easy choice. I hated bio anyway, physics logical choice.
I agree with you, but I'd prefer bio over physics :p

PrettyVacant

HSC
Our school lets us make the choices and then writes up a new timetable to suit all 150 of us. :) It involves a lot of hard work but it means 99% of us get to do the subjects we want to do. I don't really understand the whole "pick from a line" thing.

Jachie

HSC
PrettyVacant said:
Our school lets us make the choices and then writes up a new timetable to suit all 150 of us. :) It involves a lot of hard work but it means 99% of us get to do the subjects we want to do. I don't really understand the whole "pick from a line" thing.
That's what our school said they'd do, yet we still ended up with 40+ clashes (that's more than a third of our grade).

PrettyVacant

HSC
You need a cool deputy like our Mr. Jones!

=) He's been doing it for years and years and years.

If 40 is more than a third of your grade, how many are in each grade? A third of our grade is about 50.

Wish we had less people, our school's area is tiny.

Jachie

HSC
You just love your English and Humanities subjects
Don't you know it ;)

If 40 is more than a third of your grade, how many are in each grade? A third of our grade is about 50.
We have 120 students per grade. So when more than 40 students get clashes, that's more than a third of us.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
PrettyVacant said:
Thats what our school does. But then, after they have a list of what subjects that we'd like to do, they organise it into "lines" so we can then pick our official subjects for next year. It's meant to suit everyone, but considering that there are 200 students in our grade, there are some problems with students who can't do the subjects that they want to (like me ;) )

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
pLuvia said:
There's also Earth and Environmental Science :p But that's not very popular

And what Tennille says is true if you choose Senior Science you can't do any of the other sciences
Actually that's not completely accurate, you can't do preliminary Senior Science with any other preliminary science however you can pick up Senior Science in addition to another science subject in year 12. I'm not sure why anyone would want to do that but there you go.

I suppose Cosmology and Agriculture are also science subjects too, though I'm fairly sure neither are considered under the science category for the purposes of gaining a HSC.

As for the original topic: I did the three more popular science subjects and I honestly don't think its worth it, you do get some limited insight into how a science degree would be at uni but really the HSC is a chance to study whatever you want for the heck of it. Before the HSC, choice is so restricted and at uni many people do subjects for the sake of jobs at the end of it so I'd advise you not to waste this chance.

Also, its not worth doing all of the sciences for UAI purposes, people do better when they're in subjects they enjoy and are talented in rather than ones that scale well ... and the sciences don't scale that well.

Last edited:

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
I think they're all hard in their own way.
I wish I picked Bio over Physics ... Hate clashing all my formulas together .. sometimes I end up mixing my Maths/Chem formulas with my Physics ones , which is hell.
Chemistry's so hard ! Plus I have a crap teacher ! NOO ><"
I hate Physics. The grade average for our yearlies last year was a fail , 48% , if I remember correctly.

Jachie

HSC
At my school, the Physics teacher is the best in the entire faculty. I had him in Year 9 Science, and I was getting in the late-80s. (Compare that to my results last year with a different teacher, which were in the early-70s.) He's a great guy, and a great teacher, it's just a fucking shame he's teaching the worse science (IMO) seriously, if he taught Biology I'd probably pick it up.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Our Physics teacher is alright, according to senior students. he has double standards - he literally screams at every junior student, and ignores them when they ask questions, but he is completely different when he's teaching senior students :p

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Tennille said:
Chemistry, Physics, Biology, and Senior Science. As far as I know, if you do Senior Science, you can't do any other science, but I'm not sure if this is completely true.
Chemistry, Physics, Biology, and Senior Science and Agriculture and Earth and Environmental Science.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)