Screwed for Chem!?! (1 Viewer)

angelicdeity

My entire chemistry class is pretty screwed for chemistry at the momment. Our teacher was worst you can immagine. If you asked a question he told you to go look in yr 9 books or whateva.

We haven't learnt most of the yr 11 course as well as the first module.

Luckily we have a new teacher, but we just don't have time to go over the stuff we missed. What on earth should i do?

I started trying to summarise dotpoints, but they just confused me.

What is the BEST text book or study guide? I have the excel guide and Conquering Chemistry text (which is SOOOO bad).

Who has some good ideas for catching up?

abdooooo!!!

Banned
oh yea and read this post:

Originally posted by mitochondria
lol.. totally agree :D and what's more is basically 98% (I not going too far :p) of the people involved in the HSC (including teachers, markers, the hotline people... and the list goes on) every year accept what they are being told. So a chain reaction happens here: teachers tell students what they were told, students tell other students what they were told... and we end up with a bunch of people who just write what they are told in the HSC ;)

However, that's not a bad thing afterall. According to my experience, if you want to do well in any HSC subjects (probably except for maths) you have to be able to crap. In case you are not familiar with this expression:

Crap /kraep ; krep/ n 1. excrement. 2. [C] act of defecating: have a ~ v. 1. (of or pertaining to HSC) to write lotsa irrelevant stuff: just ~ on about things in the HSC or all you have to do in the HSC is crap

Knowing your chemistry will only get you to band 5/lower band 6. I went back to school today and my chem teacher asked me, what advice have you got for this year's year 11 and 12 students? And my answer was: "Tell them to do better in English instead." :)

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
If you are a keen and conciencous student, then it is up to you to study yourself and make up time lost. this is your HSC and it it is up to you whether you make a seiruos attempt of it or not. My biology teacher was so crap, that everyone bludged and didnt do one bit of work. i ended up teaching myself year 11 biology. in the end i came out 3rd out of the whole grade which was really satisfying considering i taught myself from one textbook.

you can kind of catch up by reading variuos BOS memebrs summaries. the best textbook i reccomend is conquering chem. it explains everything in basic words and it is set out according to the dot points. Macquarie revision guide chemistry is good for "night before" reading or revising. I have also noticed the surfing series are good too. Chem context i find doesnt really answer dot points but are good for bulky information for assingments.

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
don't listen to that timmy person... he is evil :p

never think you're screwed until someone screws you from behind... does that make sense?
lol.. that is that the normal timmy :p he was really encouraging in this other thread started by that person who don't quite understand chem equations... anyways, lol, didn't expect to get quoted :) (I hope you did find it slightly sarcastic though) Its *exciting* thanks abdoooooo (how many 'o's do you want?)

anyways, meee agree with a abdoooo and kimmeh :) This type of message isn't the first one anyway angel ;) you sure could get some help if you keep posting on this website :) also.. if you don't intend to work hard, you'll end up being what timmy described :p

timmy: the faculties don't talk to each other whatsoever, science staff transferred me to art staff, art staff asked me why wasn't I asking the science staff. The admission office said I can major in economics but the art staff said I can't. O o.. there are 2 days till the enrolment finished lol

abdooooo!!!

Banned
anyways, meee agree with a abdoooo and kimmeh :)
you agree with me? isn't that just another way of saying you agree with yourself since all i did was to quote what you've said earlier? :p

on the o's business... i demand 5 at least for respect... the more the better. :D

hey you're into eco as well??? ahh me want to do biochem and econometrics when i grow up. that is if i grow up... :)

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
you agree with me? isn't that just another way of saying you agree with yourself since all i did was to quote what you've said earlier? :p

on the o's business... i demand 5 at least for respect... the more the better. :D

hey you're into eco as well??? ahh me want to do biochem and econometrics when i grow up. that is if i grow up... :)
LOL! you are grown up abdoooooooooooooo! (is that better?) that thing you explained on the "common ion effect" thread is pretty impressive :D oh! and I was only agreeing with you and kimmeh :p only.. yes only..

--------

and I'm not really into econ but I feel there is a need for me to study it and I think it'll useful too.. I mean science is my dream so there must be a relistic complement of it :) (it's not easy to get money for research these days.. that's why you have poor scientists everywhere) but yeah, I think econ is quite interesting and one of my friend should me some uni year 1 books from England (they are pretty much the same with what's going on here in Aussie).. I glimpsed through the book and though okay, this isn't too hard :D As long as I get credit/credit+ when I do exams then I'll be happy with my choice.. (you see, the problem is I've only studied 2 years of dodgy commerce in year 9 and 10) anyways... can't do it now.. unless I get a special permission.. I'm only doing it as an elective for the firs semester :(

hehee.. biochem sounds great! come to UNSW ;)

--------------

btw, are you into classical music?

Last edited:

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by angelicdeity
My entire chemistry class is pretty screwed for chemistry at the momment. Our teacher was worst you can immagine. If you asked a question he told you to go look in yr 9 books or whateva.

Don't worry, u are not the only one, every time we asked our chem teacher a Q, he used to be like, "It's juniour science" :p

This is from one of the other threads:

Originally posted by perfectionist
i reckon u shud go at your own pace...for me it was like i was nearly done with the second module when my teacher started it in class. He didn't teach us how to do Extended responses nor he went thru em...i mean he never explained em. He only used to explain just a bit of the concept...which was not that of use since the syllabus has heaps of extended responses n stuff...

so I'd recommend...that get your hands on books like Conq Chem, Pathways, Chem in Context, Surfing books and any other study guides. Make notes out of the three text books(conq chem, Pathways, Chem in context) and then take the syllabus...write each dot point down as a QUESTION...and answer it looking at your notes...this way by the time Trials/HSC comes around..u'd have your notes ready..and u'd just need to these Answers to the dot points...and also...use study guides to add more info to your answers to make em to the point. Extensive Knowledge is also another thing, which u may gain from the Study Guides.

If u find class time as a "waste of time" then take your notes that u make at home or your Dot points + Answers to class....and read thru em in class....like i did.

Also...read through your notes every couple of days..so by the time u have trials and HSC u'd really have them in your mind....well thats my experience.

And yeah...Get a tutor.

What is the BEST text book or study guide? I have the excel guide and Conquering Chemistry text (which is SOOOO bad).

I liked conquering chem...u can also get Macmillan, and Chem in Context. I don't think excel is worth it. Though u can keep it for reference.

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC

Luckily we have a new teacher, but we just don't have time to go over the stuff we missed. What on earth should i do?

hehee.. sorry.. I've posted 2 times already and pretty much didn't give you an answer :p since your problem sounds quite fundemental, getting a text book will prbably not be enough because things and ideas might be hard for you to understand. So you might probably want to get a tutor as perfectionist has suggested. Also, if you don't want to get a tutor or if there are things preventing you from getting a tutor, you can always tell us what you are confused with and we'll answer your questions :) the biology people are posting whatever dotpoints they don't understand, I guess you could do that as well here in chem :)

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC

my chem teacher was also like urs . Nething v asked him n he wa like " u hav studied this in yr 9" ......
even he took yr 11 easy....hardly did nething n since most of my classmates weren't studious .....he had fun!!:D
so wat i did was....never cared abt him...n did wat i wanted 2 do!!
i reckon get a tutor....or someone who can explain the basic concepsts 2 ya!!
i used conquering, pathways ( i din like it much though!!), contexts is fine , n i found surfing good for some bits....
also the macquarie revision guide...is gud:)

goodluck....n listen , don't stress....:)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Remember if you cant find information there you could always ask here.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
don't listen to that timmy person... he is evil :p

never think you're screwed until someone screws you from behind... does that make sense?
makes perfect sense
LOL i am evil!!!!!!!!!

um. but yeah i though my post was a fairly concise answer to the original question; but i guess only time will tell

hey i mean i had a crap chem teacher for a while; i was screwed like i didn't come first in the state did i LOL

but seriously, i'm not gonna post any useful info in this thread, ppl have answered the question in much depth; maybe u should rephrase it: not "am i screwed for chem" "i'm looking for suggestions as to improve my marks, due to my current circumstances err" *stops rambling

mito: i'm screwed too for uni; i'm having trouble fitting all my courses together, my majors are acturial for commerce and biochem for science LOL; so its kinda dodgy.. but yes "i'm screwed" but i aint gonna make a thread about it

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Originally posted by t-i-m-m-y
mito: i'm screwed too for uni; i'm having trouble fitting all my courses together, my majors are acturial for commerce and biochem for science LOL; so its kinda dodgy.. but yes "i'm screwed" but i aint gonna make a thread about it
ummm... but at least your program (BCom/BSc) is static... I don't even know whether I'm in BSc(Adv)/BA or just BSc(adv) <--- which is what I wanted, now.. What I'm thinking is.. if they don't fix it for me I'll just stick with what I've enrolled in (which only satisify the Advanced Science requirements) because they told me it's been changed even it doesn't seem so.. (guess I'll have to blame them if anything happens later *shhhhh*)

Originally posted by t-i-m-m-y
that has too many thats i think that has
:D *rephrase* "that isn't the normal timmy", sounds better ay?

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
mm okay

ur original post could be taken in two ways; depending on which that u remove:p

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lol.. that is that the normal timmy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
it could be taken as:

is that the normal timmy OR
that is the normal timmy hehehe

hmm mito we've hijacked yet another thread about all our uni courses and stuff LOL

ms wendi

You are so lucky you got a new teacher -
our teacher is so bad that he confuses the whole class..
i don't think he understands chemistry himself
every sentence he says always has at least 2 - 4 umms.. >.<

people tell me.. AM I SCREWED? >.<
aRgh...
i think i'm going to die b4 the hsc arrives

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)