• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Second Thoughts on a Degree that I've Almost Completed (Quarter Life Crisis Style) (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
So uhm. I love my degree. I enjoy it so so so much. And I'll finish it, definatley, since I've come this far (one more year).

And I'm fucking ridiculously good at every component - conducting, sound design, audio/video component, writing music for classical ensembles, music theory, even programming shit to manipulate signals/sound.

But I've really really come to terms with my employment prospects. Yes there is work, but it's not weighing up with the training I've had. I could go overseas to get better (much better) pay, but I'm not particularly keen on it.

I still have my heart on a Masters of Design Science (Audio & Acoustics), which is much more technical, and hugely related to what I'm interested in.

The point:

So I thought, how wise is it for me to change and broaden so I am more employable? How about if I did something like, a Masters of Design Science (Digital Media), which isn't an entirely different field? I can still do a lot of audio shit. What do you think about what employers might see as me being totally undecided, when really, I'm being realistic?

What is the difference (in the employer's POV) between me doing a Masters in a slightly different field to music, than it is to do another whole Bachelor after I've already completed one, besides how long it takes and how I pay?

You don't have to mention experience, I'm fully aware of that. But you know.

Do you think how I'm going about it is a wise decision? Or should I just keep going with my speciality and hope all goes well?

Halp! And thanks for reading this far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)