• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Security guards rights? (1 Viewer)

placebo101

HSC
can someone please tell me what special rights a security guard has - as in westfield shopping centre security.

the reason i ask is that last night at work there was this crack head aboriginal women and 2 of her kids trying to steal stuff. when they were confronted by our staff they went crazy and started abusing and assaulting our staff, and they tried to start a riot. they 2 kids were like 10 years old and were hitting the staff and saying they wanted to fight everyone. [what kind of future to these kids have].

anyway, when they finally left the store they continued there display at the shopping centre exit, and security didn't really do anything, but the police eventually came and later on they were arrested at the train station.

7th Sign

HSC
basically no rights lol

people just walk out of target in westfield with tvs and shit and security cant touch them lol

its pretty bad I blame civil libaterian dickheads

bluebiro

HSC
security guards can only perform a citizens arrest and cant search people. basically they can only detain people if they see the person actually stealing the stuff. pretty piss poor rights if you ask me.

placebo101

HSC
so if someone is stealing something from woolies in their bag or pockets, and when woolies staff ask to search their bags they run off. can security like tackle them or not?

also, if there is a fight or something, can they get involved to stop it (physically).

HSC
Security guards can detain people (as any citizen can) if the person has com. an offence.

If the guards have a security license they can have guns and may have more powers, of which i am not sure.

If the security didn't do anything, then its poor security, not because they aren't aloud to.

bluebiro

HSC
placebo101 said:
so if someone is stealing something from woolies in their bag or pockets, and when woolies staff ask to search their bags they run off. can security like tackle them or not?
if they refuse to have their bag searched they can be detained. no1, not even woolies has the right to search a bag if you refuse to let them.

EDIT: the police are the only people who have the right to search the suspect. Security can only detain the suspect if the security guard or employee has seen them take it and has not taken their eyes off them until they were detained. And then they call the police to come and search them.

The store conditions of entry are for show only. Peoples personal privacy takes legal priority over a condition of entry into a store.

Last edited:

steelite

HSC
Komaticom said:
Then what's the point of spelling out the Conditions of Entry at the entrance to any major store? The whole point of that 8-font babble is that state that if you enter the premise, we can search your bag whether you like it or not (amongst other things). If you don't agree, don't go in.

Once someone leaves the premise with an item that has not been paid for (i.e no receipt), I think security can confront them, or tackle them if they bolt.
Most of the time, there usually isnt any security at most stores though usually they have one at night.

But its actually store policy to only ask the customer to open the bag when the sensors at the checkout beep or when the bag is big enough to fit a bread loaf in, though if the customers refuses and walks away, your not suppose to chase them, you have to let them go.

X

xeuyrawp

Argonaut said:
Stuff it up your jumper, of course.
I've seen two Leb kids steal a huge Logitech speaker sets; they literally ran out of the shop carrying this sucker. Someone stealing a TV really wouldn't surprise me; I've heard of a massive LCD TV being literally pulled from display...

Collin

HSC
N/A
There are so many ingenius ways to commit theft from retail outlets; working at the tech department of a large chain outlet has allowed me to witness and even appreciate some of the methods used. We rarely get hit by thieves directly trying to smuggle stuff out of the store, but rather outsmart staff over certain security measures, taking advantage of loopholes within the Returns Policy.. that kind of shit. Some of it is brilliant, and erm.. quite feasible if you're in need of some quick cash.

As for the original question, I thought you guys would of got trained at this..? How can you perform your security job in a satisfactory manner without even knowing your rights?... That's poor training there, unless that was your first shift or something. Or unless you're not actually a security guard, but just part of the security encore in a different area of expertise.

placebo101

HSC
thursday night at work, this guy came in and bought a 98c bottle of soft drink. but walked around the store for ages. he shoved sumthing in his pockets cause when he left the store and was walking away we saw him pull something out of his pants.

security was called but they left through the fire escape.

any... sunday at work he was in again. bought another 98c drink and left. security grabbed him outside the store and dragged him to the managers office.

it was very statisfying to see as we seem to be getting hit by shoplifters more often these days, maybe because its school holidays or somthing. almost every shift i've worked in the last 2 weeks theres been a shoplifting incident.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)