• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Seeking advice on Law transfer (1 Viewer)

citydress

HSC
I was offered Bachelor of Psychology at UNSW for this year, and I have until the 29th to accept or defer it. However, recently I've been more and more interested in doing an Arts/Law degree at UNSW (not original, I know).

I got a 96.2 UAI last year, which is high enough for an Arts/Law degree at Macq - I'm wondering if I should take the UNSW Psyc degree and after a year, either:
a) try to transfer into UNSW Law
b) try to transfer into Macq Law (lower NRSL requirement, I'm guessing) - and perhaps then attempt transfer into UNSW
OR if I should defer this year, hope that the UAI requirement for Macq doesn't rise too much and apply for the course, beginning in 2009. Then, after a year, attempt to transfer into UNSW (or Sydney, really, they're both prestigious).

The only thing I'm worried about is if I do the Psyc degree this year, I won't do so well and my GPA will bring down my NRSL mark, meaning I can't even transfer into Macq Law.

Anyone got any experience or knowledge on this matter that could give me some advice?

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
From my own experience,

judging by your UAI, you need a distinction (at least) average for a UNSW transfer. My frds with your UAI failed this year and I assume the cutoff will tend to go up.

I will do the Psy course (great course btw) at UNSW, do my absolute best, then try transfer into UNSW,UTS & Macq law..I personally don't see the point of deferring, it's just too big a risk and waste of time.

Anyway. My two cents.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
I disagree with Mitsui (we're all lawyers here but :p)

I think it all comes down to if it is the arts / law degree you wish to eventually study at university.

With your uai, you are almost guaranteed (99%+) to be accepted into MQ BA / LLB in 2009 as i can not recall its uai cut off rising above 96 in recent times. It normally is stable around 95, although again this is purely historical data and future speculation may prove diffierent.

As long as you score a GPA average of 6 (that's distinction average) then you are competitive for a UNSW law transfer and you always have MQ law as a 'back up'.

Just a quick note: if you decide to take up B Psychology in 2008 and are successful in transfering to MQ BA / LLB in 2009 (but not UNSW LLB) then you will not have the opportunity to transfer to UNSW LLB in 2010 as its law faculty only processes transfer applicants with up to 48 units of credit (one full-time year study load). That would be the only downside of taking B Psychology compared to MQ BA/LLB 2009 (where you could try to transfer to UNSW Law 2010, as you would have only studied at uni for a grand total of 1 year - making you eligible for the transfer).

Best of luck with your choices. Hope to see you at the UNSW Law school soon!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)