• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Selective Exam Resources/Prep (1 Viewer)

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
This isn't relating to me but rather a sibling I have currently in Year 6.

Could anyone who sat the selective exam + passed give any recommendation for what resources to buy for that sibling + tips/advice that helped within the exam, I am not familiar with the process. Deeply appreciated!

c_z_m

HSC
The selective schools exam process changed in 2021, so it might be hard to find up-to-date resources, or nothing might have really changed at all. Apparently it's moving away from rote-learning questions to more "critical thinking" questions - whatever that means. However, the NSW Education website has a few sample papers to familiarise your sibling with the content online (just search Selective Exam Resources). Being the responsible sibling I'm sure you are, you will probably get the jist of what the exams actually comprise of and may well be able to help your sibling accordingly. Basic exam skills of prioritising questions and time management are all applicable in these types of exams, which you have no doubt experienced in your high school life - who knows, you might get paid by your parents :)

When I did my selective school exam (way back in 2015), I basically did lots of questions from GA (general ability) books and learnt a lot of maths shortcuts (e.g: ). Whether this approach will help for this year's exam, I'm not too sure, but best of luck to ExtremelyBoredUser Jr!

vishnay

God
HSC
quite unusual to start prep this late unless the date has changed for selective (I am not aware of the date for this yr)

pre-uni sttc should be plenty and I’m sure they have updated their materials for the new exam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)