Self-Learning Bottom-Up or Top-Down? (1 Viewer)

Worldmind

Explorer
HSC
N/A
For context, I've been studying abroad, and already graduated from a university. To keep things short, I had a change of heart about what I want to do, which, of course, requires maths, something I once despised doing in high school, but have recently come to enjoy.

Anyway, I've lately been doing nothing but catching up on everything I've missed out on, starting from square one at algebra, and using Khan Academy, Art of Problem Solving, Purplemath, and what-have-you's, plus a bunch of other online resources and free texts whenever necessary. It's absolute chaos, so to keep me on the straight and narrow, I'm thinking about buying a textbook, in which department I know from reading your threads that Fitzpatrick, Cambridge, Lee, and Coroneos come highly recommended.

More to the point, I'm curious as to whether it would be redundant to go through 2 Units Mathematics and not skip straight ahead to 3 Units Mathematics. I understand all too well the importance of having a solid foundation, which I'm guessing the former will provide for the latter. I hope to get up to 4 Units-level sooner or later, but that talk's premature for now. I want to understand and grok this thing, so I won't struggle when I get up to calculus and beyond. Doesn't 2 Units Maths come included with 3 Units Maths? Or has it been set up so that without knowing 2 Units inside-out, I'd be lost in 3 Units?

Thanks!

cineti970128

HSC
Yes
but you will be fine if you study fitzy 2unit because it covers yr11 & 12, then do 3unit fitzy
You can use Cambridge for harder concepts
Ps Yr11 foundation is very important

phoenix159

HSC
If you want to understand the concepts, use the Fitzpatrick books, then use Cambridge for different types of questions.

I have the Yr 11 and 12 Cambridge texts in pdf form - reply if you want them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)