series and seqeunces (1 Viewer)

stressedadfff

HSC
hey guys, for this question, i get that you use the sum formula for aps but wouldnt n + 21? can someone send a solution pls im confused...Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 9.12.50 pm.png

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Yea but I don’t see where the person has given this information, the source. Did you reverse image search it or something?
I just searched the question on Google. I think it would be quite difficult to find it through a reverse image search, especially if the image is of somewhat low quality.

stressedadfff

HSC
Interesting, thank you for pointing it out! (not my solutions by the way, but those of the paper from which this question is sourced :)).
yes thats what i realised too, i dont really get it but i feel like its right?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
It's correct, CM_Tutor confirmed it :)

As Hivaclibtibcharkwa mentioned, you cannot sub in n = 21 because of the changing difference from 2 to -2 after the 11th week, meaning they have to be added separately. Logically, there is a reason behind the fact that you're asked to find how much snow falls in the 11th week in part (a).

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
If you think through what is described, we have
  • Snow fall in week 1 = 5 cm
  • Snow fall in week 2 = 5 + 2 = 7 cm
  • Snow fall in week 3 = 7 + 2 = 9 cm
  • Snow fall in week 4 = 9 + 2 = 11 cm
  • ... pattern continues ...
  • Snow fall in week 9 = 19 + 2 = 21 cm
  • Snow fall in week 10 = 21 + 2 = 23 cm
  • Snow fall in week 11 = 23 + 2 = 25 cm
We are told that the pattern changes at the middle week of the season from increasing snow fall to decreasing snow fall.
In a 21 week season, week 11 is the middle week as there are 10 weeks before it and 10 weeks after it. So, we then get...
  • Snow fall in week 12 = 25 - 2 = 23 cm
  • Snow fall in week 13 = 23 - 2 = 21 cm
  • Snow fall in week 14 = 21 - 2 = 19 cm
  • Snow fall in week 19 = 11 - 2 = 9 cm
  • Snow fall in week 20 = 9 - 2 = 7 cm
  • Snow fall in week 21 = 7 - 2 = 5 cm
Our total snow fall over the season is then

This entire series is NOT an AP as there it is not a constant common difference. So, we need to manipulate it to make one or more series that can be found using AP formulae. This can be done in a number of ways, and whichever you adopt will lead to the correct answer... though the last one is the most efficient:

Approach 1(a): Divide the series where the common difference changes

Each set of brackets contains an AP:
  • First bracket is an AP of 11 terms (weeks 1 to 11, inclusive) which has , , and .
  • Second bracket is an AP of 10 terms (weeks 12 to 21, inclusive) which has , , and .

Approach 1(b): Slightly different division of the series

• First bracket is an AP of 10 terms (weeks 1 to 10, inclusive) which has , , and .
  • Second bracket is an AP of 11 terms (weeks 11 to 21, inclusive) which has , , and .

Approach 2: Less obvious but quicker...

This rearrangement works by recognising that the increasing pattern of weeks 1 to 10 is also the pattern for weeks 12 to 21, but in reverse. Thus, we have that . We now have only one set of brackets and a single AP, plus an extra term that needs to be added:
  • is an AP of 10 terms (weeks 1 to 10, forwards, which is the same as weeks 12 to 21, backwards - inclusive in each case) which has , , and .

stressedadfff

HSC
If you think through what is described, we have
  • Snow fall in week 1 = 5 cm
  • Snow fall in week 2 = 5 + 2 = 7 cm
  • Snow fall in week 3 = 7 + 2 = 9 cm
  • Snow fall in week 4 = 9 + 2 = 11 cm
  • Snow fall in week 9 = 19 + 2 = 21 cm
  • Snow fall in week 10 = 21 + 2 = 23 cm
  • Snow fall in week 11 = 23 + 2 = 25 cm
We are told that the pattern changes at the middle week of the season from increasing snow fall to decreasing snow fall.
In a 21 week season, week 11 is the middle week as there are 10 weeks before it and 10 weeks after it. So, we then get...

• Snow fall in week 12 = 25 - 2 = 23 cm
  • Snow fall in week 13 = 23 - 2 = 21 cm
  • Snow fall in week 14 = 21 - 2 = 19 cm
  • Snow fall in week 19 = 11 - 2 = 9 cm
  • Snow fall in week 20 = 9 - 2 = 7 cm
  • Snow fall in week 21 = 7 - 2 = 5 cm
Our total snow fall over the season is then

This entire series is NOT an AP as there it is not a constant common difference. So, we need to manipulate it to make one or more series that can be found using AP formulae. This can be done in a number of ways, and whichever you adopt will lead to the correct answer... though the last one is the most efficient:

Approach 1(a): Divide the series where the common difference changes

• First bracket is an AP of 11 terms (weeks 1 to 11, inclusive) which has , , and .

• Second bracket is an AP of 10 terms (weeks 12 to 21, inclusive) which has , , and .

Approach 1(b): Slightly different division of the series

• First bracket is an AP of 10 terms (weeks 1 to 10, inclusive) which has , , and .

• Second bracket is an AP of 11 terms (weeks 11 to 21, inclusive) which has , , and .

Approach 2: Less obvious but quicker...

This rearrangement works by recognising that the increasing pattern of weeks 1 to 10 is also the pattern for weeks 12 to 21, but in reverse. Thus, we have that . We now have only one set of brackets and a single AP, plus an extra term that needs to be added:
  • is an AP of 10 terms (weeks 1 to 10, forwards, which is the same as weeks 12 to 21, backwards - inclusive in each case) which has , , and .

thank you i understand!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)