• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Sex and gender (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
However, sex and gender are not one and the same. Sexual identity is determined by an individualʼs physical genitalia, while gender is regardless of physical makeup and based on whether an individual is masculine or feminine.
http://dudeyoureafag.blogspot.com/2010/11/heterosexual-matrix.html

Came across the term 'heterosexual matrix' and wondered what others think about this. Do you reckon this ~gender is a social construct~ sentiment is a crock of shit or is it a reasonable statement?

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
it can be reasonable, or a crock of shit. it's ephemeral like that. like every fucking thing else. you might want to make the question more specific

its often just a truism though

HSC
yeah funkshens right

in some domains 'gender' and specified gender roles might actually be a product of culture

other times particular behaviors and predilections categorised as a component of the gender nexus might actually be the result of genotypic differences between men and women

of course the second part of what i just said is a big no no

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
they're just so arbitrary. you don't need a penis and testicles doesn't to enjoy woodturning. and you don't have to have a ham wallet to enjoy fashion.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
i think it is indicative that we have no legit female posters here

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
1950:
>our 4 year old son likes wearing dresses/playing with his sister's toys/putting on his mum's makeup
>he'll grow out of it soon

>our 4 year old son likes wearing dresses/playing with his sister's toys/putting on his mum's makeup
>RIGHT WING: oh noes send him off to straight camp for reeducation
>LEFT WING: he's clearly a girl inside, send him off for complicated surgery

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
why would i though

2050:
> women have discovered how to exclude males from reproduction
> problem solved

HSC
Uni Grad
Fair enough, I didn't really have anywhere to go or an underlying deeper question I was leading to.

I just think the term gender has been used too often in a way that makes it appear interchangeable with sex (maybe).

But really it's pretty much just societal perceptions of masculine and feminine behaviour as well as cultural expectations/ideals.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
most people don't really care though, and are happy to perpetuate all sorts of nonsense since it just works

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)