• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Sexism in Religion (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumarab

HSC
many Christians that hang out in the News, Current Affairs & Politics section have probably argued against Islam stating it's sexist religion ( i mean I've done it myself).

But the thing they don't realise is that Christianity is a sexist religion as well

1Tim 2:11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

1 Corinthians 14:34
Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.

and about million more quotes in the old testament.

Although Christianity is not AS sexist as islam, I still believe it has to be called a sexist religion.

Discuss.....

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
Re: Christianity is sexist too

It's not like everyday Christians put it in practice.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
There were many female preachers in the bible who held high positions of leadership (Miriam, Deborah, Huldah, Priscilla, Phoebe). Tim 2:11-12, 1 Cor 14:34 refer to the need not for women to be silent but to not occupy absolute commanding roles in the church i.e. Become priests, as this is not the role God has sought out for them.

Obviously.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Re: Christianity is sexist too

Martyno1 said:
It's not like everyday Christians put it in practice.
  • Valuing virginity
  • No female priests

I don't know when Christians have said Islam is a sexist religion. I can imagine a few atheists have.

I can name far more shockingly racist passages in the Bible. They're usually old testament. They're not new to anyone.

“If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her, he shall pay the girl’s father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the girl for he has violated her. They may never divorce.” (Deuteronomy 22:28)
"When a woman has her regular flow of blood, the impurity of her monthy bleeding will last seven days, and anyone who touches her will be unclean until evening.
"Anything she lies on during her period will be unclean, and anything she sits on will be unclean.
"Whoever touches her bed must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be unclean until evening.
"Whoever touches anything she sits on must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be unclean until evening. " (Leviticus 15:19-22)
"Unto the woman he said, ‘I will greatly multiply your pain in childbearing and conception; in sorrow you shall bring forth children. You shall desire your husband, and he shall rule over you.’" (Genesis 3:16)
etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)