SGP: is interview enough primary data? (1 Viewer)

mengfei

HSC
Heya, well SGP's are due back next Friday and I have only done secondary research lol. I'm doing mine on the North West Rail Link and why they chose single deck trains instead of the existing double decker ones the rest of Sydney uses. my investigation points are that they're 1) can carry more people per hour 2) can travel at steeper gradients meaning future city stations will not need to be as far underground and 3) the harbour bridge can't carry more double deckers an hour than it already does between Milsons point and Wynyard. Minor points include that they are faster trains and also safer but the safer part seems a bit debatable seeing they have less security cameras and no staff/guards on board the train like our current ones do.

So for primary research, I've thought of conducting an interview with the North west rail link representatives. They have a community info centre I can conduct an interview with but IS THAT ENOUGH PRIMARY DATA? I've seen people doing surveys and such but if I did that as well it would be like public opinion on which they would think would have been a better choice haha.

Also is interviewing public relations people at the community info place good enough as a source or would I need to dig deeper and actually contact the transport ministers or project directors and boards that actually made the decision???

Thanks ^_^

blackbird_14

HSC
Considering your SGP is due back next Friday (I have 6 more days than you :D), you really should be writing your final report, not still gathering data.

With the time you have, you've got no time to do a survey- unless you really really really want to do one but I would advise against it. So I guess if you get a lot of interviews with different people with different views, and your questions are good for squeezing out their views, then I think just interviews would be fine. At least you have some primary data! Your topic has more secondary data than primary data, just because most of your information is already online- unlike if you were studying road conditions on a local road- so more secondary data would make more sense in your case.

You should try and email the "big guns" (transport people) with some questions, but again, one week for a response and sticking it into your report will be tight.

What's your word limit? With 3/4 aims that you want to investigate- I hope your word limit allows for that.

Good luck!

ICESACK

HSC
well my teacher said to do 4 interviews with 5 questions each person...
but he also said to put pictures and tally's
hope u do well
mine is due in September 10th

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't know if this helps, but all the trains in the north-west rail link go to epping, not to central. Hills people (such as myself) will need to make a transfer at epping station, which means that the fact that the harbour bridge cant handle any more double decker trains is irrelevant

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
also i think i heard that the trains are going to be driver-less (acting as a trial for the rest of the rail network)

expertdkx

B.IT Network Security
HSC
Uni Grad
i rigged mines back in 2008, if u want i only got a hard copy just shoot me an email and ill discuss about that..:D

Sydney only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)