• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

shakespeare (1 Viewer)

may22

HSC
is it bad to just read the translated version ?
Well...you’re going to have to memorise your quotes in Shakespearean form...

Also, reading the translated version alone will take away from the authenticity of Shakespeare, namely because there are certain lines/phrases claimed by characters which are intentionally worded in such a form.

Try reading the Shakespearean form, and have the translated version open on Sparknotes just as a reference if you are struggling

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
My opinion;0

I would suggest to watch a play version (optimally not adaptation?) if reading the text is too boring/dry/confusing etc., for me it makes more sense in how the scenes are made as from the way the actors voice the lines which make it more memorable and some parts of the text don't seem as confusing when they are performed. Shakespearean texts were also intended to be performed as a drama rather than read so that's my logic behind why I feel watching plays helps at least.

Just note if you're watching a play, the play will be performed in the director's interpretation of the text.

E.g for Richard III, some plays, mostly the older ones, depict Richard (who is generally considered the villain of the story) as extremely vile and unforgiveable as his intent is just to inflict harm and pain so when analysing Richard you would view him as an agent of chaos/pure villain and you could link that to the contextual polticial motivations

(when Tudors were in power, Elizabeth was granddaughter to Henry VI (forgot which one lmao there's so much) who was a lancaster that defeated Richard III (who was a york) [battle of roses] so Shakespeare wanted to perhaps appease the monarch to increase support for his plays or he didn't want to get tortured (which was common ofc))

In some newer renditions, Richard III is depicted as more humane and the motivations behind his actions are more reasonable and the severity of his actions are toned down in some parts. e.g Hollow Crown (a tv series that does shakespeare plays)

and you could see this as something to relate to Fate vs Free Will, Richard III went against fate of him being doomed to being "ugly" as from scene I "I am not made for sportive tricks" (some quotes like that, forgot some of them you should check if studying Richard III but many referneces there) and his deceitful actions are rebellion against an oppressive system (cite the hierarchy forgot name God -> King etc..). Yadda yadda

[you can debate these arguments from evidence later on in the text but its an example in how you can build off an interpretation and its just smthn i made up rn, to give an idea how you can branch off into your own interpretation]

All plays do follow the story/plot and that's one thing that doesn't change but it is ultimately the director's interpretation in the motivations and behavior of character that can change in how you perceive the text.

Personally, I skim over the text originally to make my own interpretations then I watch a rendition of the play that is widely accepted and is positively reviewed by critics so it is more relevant to my understanding but ultimately its up to you, do whatever works for you as long as you understand the text ig, we all think/process differently.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)