shipwrecks, corrosion n conservation (1 Viewer)

jonemo

HSC
AreYouAlright? said:
I'm quite certain it would! If it was connected via external wire it would become a galvanic cell definitely!

I'd just like to point out that I have always had the same argument... NOT galvanic, formed on bottom of beaker! Nothing happens to Iron nail...

Debate what you will but the chemistry of it is quite clear.
Indeed- there are 2 different solutions in the one beaker, so it is quite certain that a galvanic cell will form.
Nothing will happen to the iron nail, except- i say that it is still a simple displacement reaction- iron (from soln) will begin to form on the Mg strip.

Captain Karl

HSC
I reckon that unless an external wire is introduced it will be a displacement reaction but i'm not sure if the iron would form on the Mg strip or on the bottom of the beaker (or if it would first form on the strip and then later fall down into the bottom of the beaker)

thestevonator

jonemo said:
Indeed- there are 2 different solutions in the one beaker, so it is quite certain that a galvanic cell will form.
Nothing will happen to the iron nail, except- i say that it is still a simple displacement reaction- iron (from soln) will begin to form on the Mg strip.

I think that sopmething does still happen to the iron nail. i believe it is protected by cathodic protection due to the oxidation of the Mg strip. Therefore if there was any rust on the nail before it was placed in the solution the rust would be restored to metallic iron and be reduced.

alia

Iron and Mg in beaker

I am soooo comfused....

I remember writing an experiment using Mg as asacrificail anode and i vaguely recall that my teacher said that they must be touching. They are not touching in the diagram. but then again it is an electrolyte solution so who knows...

btw it's funny seeing chemistry nerds get angry, im one of them...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)