• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Shore Thing/Field Day/Summafielddayze Review (1 Viewer)

Peter Yo

HSC
Iz bored yo

I was meaning to write a review for each sooner anyways. Scores are completely biased and based on my impression alone.

Shore Thing

Nice layout and presentation by the organisers. Everything you would expect at a music festival but nicely spaced out and not congested. This is probably owing to them only having one performance stage though. The rides were up the back and out of the way and the food/drink stands were to the side and left much room to relax. However, up in the crowd it was your typical squash-fest.

We didn't really pay attention to PTY LTD. We were too busy drinking/eating and finding a nice little spot up the back where we could dance.

DJ Ember:

His set came after PTY LTD fucked off and we got settled into the crowd. He won massive points with me for mixing T.I's verse and the hook from 'Hurt' (T.I VS T.I.P) with a nice electro tune. Decent track selection but nothing too special, but hey, what can you expect from a DJ set.

8/10

best track: T.I - Hurt

Score is stand-alone and not relative to any of the other acts. All things considered too (eg, it's just a DJ set so not expecting much, just nice track selection to dance too and get the crowd worked up)

Sneaky Sound System:

We got in closer before SSS hit the stage. I wasn't expecting much, at all, ever since I can remember vaguely hearing their set at Splendour In The Grass (it sounded like someone just threw on their mediocre debut album and connected the stereo to huge speakers).

Connie sounded more like a drowning cat than a singer. I don't really mind her voice in a studio recording, but live, it just doesn't do it for me.

They tried to switch up their predictable set by occasionally mixing their hits in with well-known, classic dance tracks. The best part came when they shouted 'It's not what you expect' by using Daft Punk's 'Aerodynamic' for their much overplayed and now-annoying hit 'Pictures'

best song: Pictures/Aerodynamic

4/10

Funktrust DJ's

These guys have excellent track choice (at least the DJ's made up for SSS) and the one that stands out the most - which they played right before the 10-9-8... countdown to 2008 - was 'Killing In The Name Of' by Rage Against The Machine, albeit the electro remix - better than nothing. Such a good touch having the last song of 2007 being one that many are greatly anticipating hearing, in all it's live glory, at Big Day Out this year.

best track: Killing In The Name Of - RATM

7/10

Groove Armada:

After the short firework display the moment everyone was there for came. Groove Armada hit the stage and did not dissapoint. Track after track, I was highly impressed with the flow of the whole set. The only thing that I guess I was a bit annoyed at was the fact that they dragged out 'I See You Baby (Shaking That Ass)' way too long, for about 10 minutes before going into the actual song. They kept teasing the crowd with the most well known tune from the song, mixing it with different beats and leaving me thinking 'just play the fucking song.'

They left stage, crowd shouted for an encore, they came back to my suprise (sarcasm). They wasted no time in going straight into 'Superstylin' knowing that was the jam everyone was hanging out for. It being one of my favourite dance tracks, I didn't really get into it, but for totally unrelated reasons. Everyone around me went nuts. Everyone around me had alot of fun, and that song could be played over and over again for 5 hours and everyone would go off just as much as the first time it was played.

Best song: Superstylin'

9/10

It was a good festival on the whole. Great way to bring in the new year. Would have been better if they replaced SSS with someone like Muscles or stolen Sister Bliss from luna park's celebrations.

Overall: 6.5/10

Last edited:

Peter Yo

HSC
Field Day

4 hours rest was all that was allowed before Shore Thing led onto Field Day.

The Parklife of Janurary, we knew what kind of crowd to expect, obviously got it.

However, I do think the atmosphere and overall vibe of Field Day was much better than Parklife. The only thing that Parklife had on Field Day is that Parklife boasted a much better line-up.

Jonathan Wall:

We didn't really watch his set but we sat close by the stage he was performing on whilst trying to get intoxicated on the weak cocktails the festival provided. I don't know about anyone else I was with but I was all ears to his set. His track choice impressed me, especially 'Waters of Nazareth' - Justice. If It was on later I probably would have gone off to his set. Pity the floor was empty during his set.

best song: justice - waters of nazareth

6/10

John Tejada:

Much like Jonathan Wall we sat near by the stage while he was playing. I had checked some of his songs a few days before the festival and was impressed. Not as outstanding as some of the other DJ's that France has produced but still an exceptional DJ. The floor started to pick up during his set, sounded really good, unfortunately we left the area to go walk around half way through his set.

best song: n/a

6/10

People Under The Stairs:

On my recommendation the peeps I was with agreed to check out People Under The Stairs. I was happy that they had a good time and were very impressed. Made it more fun tbh. These guys are very similar to such hip-hop groups as A Tribe Called Quest, The Roots and The Pharcyde. PUTS also has been around just as long as these groups, yet is not as well-known.

I don't know their tracks as well as the aforementioned groups either but I still had fun, vaguely recognising about 5 songs that they performed. They incorporated everything that is great about a hip-hop concert, mainly crowd participation, playing with the common 'call-response' technique.

A great beatbox and freestyle made the set even better.

Best song: Field Day Freestyle w/ beatbox.

7.5/10

Girl Talk:

We were planning on staying for 30 minutes of Girl Talk's set and then rushing over to the main stage to watch Chromeo, who I really wanted to see. A DJ must be that good to make me scrap the plans of seeing an act that I really wanted to see - this was the case.

As soon as he came out he just exuded confidence and as soon as the beat dropped he went as crazy as anyone on the dance floor. No doubt some of the finest mash-ups I have heard. I forgot all about Chromeo because I was having too much fun being all like 'OMG I CAN"T BELIEVE HE IS PLAYING THIS SONG' I was familiar with pretty much every song he played which made it even better for me.

He took vocals from Lil' Scrappy's 'No Problem' Trillville's 'Neva Eva' Cassidy's 'Drink N My 2 Step' Young Gunz 'Set It Off', Pimp C's verse off 'Intl Players Anthem' and Biggie's 'Juicy' amongst others. He also blended the infamous hook from T.I's 'What You Know' with 'Since You Been Gone' by Kelly Clarkson, lol.

A very enjoyable DJ set. Even though I loved how he played the vocals from Trillville's 'Neva Eva' the song he mixed it with (can't remember, but I remember not thinking it worked well) didn't go to well with the vocals. I remember there were 2 times throughout his set where I thought 'Hm, that mash-up wasn't too good' but the rest were almost perfect.

One of the best DJ sets I have seen at a music festival

best song: Notorious B.I.G - Juicy VS Elton John - Tiny Dancer

9.5/10

Midnight Juggernauts:

I had already seen them once live prior to Field Day (Homebake '07) and was very impressed. Loved them as I knew I would. Dystopia has birthed THREE of my favourite songs of 2007 ("Road To Recovery" amongst all others, "Into The Galaxy" and "Tombstone").

Sad enough to say I was dissapointed with this set, maybe it was the fact that we were close to the back of the stage but it sounded as if there were technical difficulties (not their fault) which ruined songs which vocals play a big part in (eg, "Road To Recovery," "Into The Galaxy). Lucikly "Tombstone" and most of their other songs do not have many live vocals. "Tombstone" went OFF. My legs felt like they were going to fall off after I had finished jumping around to this song, which was their last (I think).

Although their gig was much better at Homebake. The fact that it's midnight juggernauts and their songs are fucking awesome was enough to make this set enjoyable.

best song: Tombstone (would have probably been road to recovery if the live vocals didn't sound shit)

7/10

Felix Da Housecat:

I wasn't too familiar with this guy. Although I have heard about him many times and listened to some of his most famous tracks, I never really got into him. He is such a good DJ live, such a good one. Every track he drops fills the floor with energy and he doesn't drag on any of his songs like DJ's usually do.

best song: Knights Of Cydonia - Muse

7/10

Uffie & Feadz:

Feadz was on by himself for most of the set. He didn't do a bad job DJ'ing either. He dropped 'The Way I Are' by Timbaland to the delight of the crowd. Most of the electro tracks he played were ones with dirty beats which I love so there was no complaints from me here.

Then Uffie came on. Took her time. Was it worth the wait?

NO

She went straight into 'Thee Partty" by Justice (she does the vocals) after asking the crowd if we were ready to "Uff." To be honest, it was just a drug-fucked whore up on stage screaming into a microphone over some decent beats. And that is all she will ever be if she continues delivering horrible performances like that. I she gets over on the fact that her voice is 'trashy' and since trash is cool (for some really bizzare and unknown reason) she has her fans. I liked 'pop the glock' I guess.

Best Song: The Way I Are - Timbaland (Feadz)

Feadz - 5/10
Uffie - 1/10 (at least she knew the words to her songs)

We left before the end of Uffie's set.

Overall I enjoyed Field Day alot more than Shore Thing. Now if we took the acts from Parklife and combined them with Field Day (not leaving out juggers, girl talk, PUTS or felix) then it would be AWESOME.

overall: 8./10

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
Summafielddayze

Cyclonic winds plagued Surfers Paradise all week leading up to Summafielddayze, which was on the Saturday. When I woke up Saturday morning the sun was shining and there was no sign of rain. Was very suprised.

Getting there was very annoying. Firstly, Doug Jennings Park is near Sea World so we had to travel to there. However, the buses were all packed for about 2 hours before we got one. There were NO taxis.

This combined with the fact that my friends took ages to be bothered to leave for the festival frustrated the fuck out of me seeing as Sister Bliss (Faithless), probably the main reason I went in the first place was doing a set at 2pm.

We got to Summafielddayze around 3 50pm.

I was VERY upset that I missed Sister Bliss.

This and the field was basically a swamp. Mud and puddles everywhere you stepped. Didn't phase me though as I quickly ran to catch De La Soul

De La Soul:

One of the most well-known groups in Hip-Hop, have been waiting to see them live for as long as I can remember. They were great. I managed to work my way to the very front centre of the crowd and proceeded to jump around, chant along and even crowd surf. Was very fun.

Plug 1 was hilarious and he came right up to the crowd and I got to touch him (OMG :eek:).

I also greatly appreciated the fact that before they came onto stage the DJ played track after track of A Tribe Called Quest's classics. Def bought the Hip-Hop vibe and was a fantastic set.

Best Song: Stakes Is High, The Grind Date, and Ring Ring Ring.

8/10

New Young Pony Club:

Unfortunately did not catch the majority of these guys set. Pity because I caught the last few songs and they sounded awesome live. Knew how to work the crowd, each sound given off by each instrument complimented the song and just worked.

The people I went up with really did not know too many of the acts so moved around alot and I didn't really get to see any complete sets aside from De La and Felix Da Housecat (who i watched alone because all my friends want to do is drink).

best song: Don't know the name but the last one they did

6.5/10

Benny Benassi:

Suprised by just how popular Benny is. I love his style, was greatly anticipating this set. Great lighting effects and screen presentation. Great vibe. He gave the crowd exactly what they wanted, awesome fucking dance music. Towards the end of the set he started throwing on tunes which sounded a bit lazy and not as energetic as his more well-known songs. However, DJ's always tend to find their little style which works and stick to it stringently. This and the fact that most of this Italian Stallion's tracks are about one thing - sex - gets a bit repetitive. You have to be a HUGE fan of his style to not get bored towards the end of one of his sets I guess. The only DJ I couldn't get bored of if he played the same thing over and over again is Justice (same thing = waters of nazareth). Anyway yeah, many pros, many cons to Mr Benassi.

Best Song: Turn Me Up, I Love My Sex

7.5/10

David Guetta:

Wasn't planning on sticking around for this guy but, well, I did. 'Are you ready to hear some sexy house music" was what he said as soon as he came onto the stage. 'WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" was the crowds' reply. Guetta went straight into some corny pop life track. Track after track of corny pop life didn't really impress me too much. When he played his huge 'Love Don't Let Me Go VS The Egg Remix" the crowd went NUTS. Of course, you'd have to be living under a rock to not be familiar with this song. Was fun for the first half of the song I guess, but well, we've just heard it to me many times Mr Guetta, blame the radio for me not enjoying it as much.

Best Song: Love Don't Let Me Go

4.5/10

Felix Da Housecat:

Since Field Day I had been looking forward to hearing another one of his awesome sets. My friends had all ran around and phone reception was completely down so I had to go this one alone, meeting randoms along the way.

Perhaps the most fun I've had in the week. Was non-stop moving and jumping around until the very end of his set. Where he went into 'Knights Of Cydonia' (what I was waiting for) and "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Dude was extremely drunk, you could easily tell from the way he spoke to the audience in-between his songs. He felt the need to inform us over and over again that he was wasted off of tequila, at this point he got the idea and goes 'Ok I'll shutup and keep playing now." He went back into his awesome track selection and left the crowd very pleased.

Best Song: Knights Of Cydonia - Muse, Jupiter Room - Digitalism.

10/10

We had many people taking their clothes off and playing in the mud, rolling around, fighting in the mud, mud wrestling (all guys though) and splashing over people with mud. My shoes got stuck in the mud many times and it took longer than usual to walk from stage to stage for that reason.

Me and my mates also kicked these wog fags asses in a dance off :eek:

and one of my mates hooked up with some hot bi-sexual chick and fingered her on the dance floor lolz.

Fun day nonetheless.

overall: 8.5/10

Would have given it a 9 if it wasn't for the fucking SHIT organisation in terms of transport to and from the park

HSC
i don't think it was shit organisation, so much as like .. you can't just have people driving there and parking there 'cause it's an open park, anyone could just park and walk in without a ticket. but yeah it did take forever, but i guess it's to be expected when there's only two lanes of traffic for everyone at the festival + normal main beach tourists + seaworld visitors + resort guests + resort staff ..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)