Short Stories for the Individual and Society (1 Viewer)

Sventina

HSC
I've left it a bit late to start picking my found texts, mostly because I have a terrible teacher.

Anyway, now I'm freaking out trying to find a short story which is not too strenuous to read or analyse, but which is not too stereotypical. I need something with obvious relation to conventions and 19th century influences, so I'm not really looking for Poe's murder mysteries, or gothic horror tales etc.

Does anyone have any ideas, or anything they've so far managed to use successfully?

(P.S. I have checked the supplementary material list, but the two short stories listed there did not seem all that suitable.)

Thanks.

Marinatos

HSC
Imagine finding you here! Who would have thought. I'll see if I can find anything for you, mainly because I'm very, very happy. I just got A Norton Critical Edition of The Awakening which about 2/3 analysis, context, etc. Epic wins for me.

Azreil

HSC
Another fancy seeing you here >>

Portrait of Dorian Gray is nice n short, though... not fun to read D= Otherwise, think of letters and speeches that are fairly accessible online. Mr Vaughn (though full of it) keeps on saying non-fiction texts are good, and I'd believe it. Not many people use them and if they do they don't use the same ones.

But no spark notes, etc, means you do it on your own.

Have fuuuuuuun! <3

Sventina

HSC
I've got Dorian Gray, but I don't think I'll have enough time before the midcourse to do it properly. I might save it for the trials.

I've looked for letters and speeches and haven't found any good sites for them. So, I have no idea where to look.

I don't know what you mean by "no sparknotes"m as in whether you think sparknotes is bad or something.

I don't use it, but I would use it to check the text summaries so I can make sure I'm not wasting time reading something entirely irrelevant.

Azreil

HSC
Oh, I was just saying that most letters/speeches don't have the benefit/hinderance (whichever way you look at it) of spark notes summaries.

Have fun Ellen-face.

caitlin2230

HSC
None of you have answered the original question.

What are some ideas for short stories relating to the individual and society?

Power of One

HSC
N/A
Try reading Only Ten by Allan Baillie very short straight to the point. Also the Fr. Chris Riley story is another one for individual and society. You can even use the information about David Hicks as an example of an individual and society.

Cowanian

HSC
Apparently Charles Dickins is supposed to be very good for short stories relating to the Individual in Society. If you can't get books try watching screen adaptations instead. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott and Sense and Sensibility or Mansfield Park by Austen are all good related texts.

Marinatos

HSC
caitlin2230 said:
None of you have answered the original question.

What are some ideas for short stories relating to the individual and society?
Actually, I did try to answer the original question. Just because I hadn't found any I wanted to suggest, I went and found some pages with short stories from the nineteenth century so she could choose her own.

I like the Yellow Wallpaper, but Sventina didn't likeit last time I talked to her about it and about four people from our class are already using it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)