Should I buy an iPod? (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I know there are heaps of these... but I feel like making my own since I can't decide.

I have an old 1st gen iPod Mini which has been replaced by Apple once already (with a new battery)- but now it's at the stage of it'll last me one, or if i'm lucky, two days and that's it- and all I use it for is listening to on the bus/train to work and back.

I'm sick of having to cut songs out of my playlist to fit onto the puny 4gb hdd (I have a 40gb library), so now I've decided it is time to upgrade to the new iPod. Was considering the 8gb Nano but thought- for same price, might as well get the full size enhanced 5th gen 30gb one.

Any thoughts?

The 30gb one is $380- but I can probably get 5% off that from a mate... but then, it seems stupid to buy it knowing that the 80gb is only $120 more (or $140 including the discount) at $499!

Sigh. This is a tough one.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Well if your sick of having to cut songs and you have a 40gb library, why would you get a 30gb?

Get the 80gb

Pilgrim

HSC
dont get an ipod. theyre retarded. i had a 60gb. fucking just stopped working after a year and a week.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
My 40gb library is inclusive of stuff I don't listen to on a regular basis so I'm not sure.

You know how when you buy a new CD, you just wanna listen to the whole thing right- but in the long run, you'll probably take only a couple of songs with you all the time? It's like that for me, but the problem is my 4gb iPod Mini can't even keep up with that.

I also feel a bit guilty buying another iPod because some of my other devices can also play mp3s (albeit not as well)- eg. my walkman phone (which can't display Chinese and has a lot of "errors"!), my PDA (with jack all battery life- <1hr and poor audio quality) and my PSP (but my memory stick is filled with games; not music).

*shrugs*

I feel so confused over something so trivial. I think I'll end up buying a black 30gb one though- and the review on iPod Lounge said the audio quality is better too.

the-unko-lema

HSC
I have an iPod 30GB 5th gen.

People say i'm too much of a fashion whore but I disagree... I've tried other players such as those from creative, sandisk, sony etc.... they either broke or thier interface was too clunky or over complicated and they became heavy thick paper weights. Apple just has thier formula right, they've had time to refine it, and they've kept it simple...

-that said if you hate iTunes with some uncalled for passion, you're better off getting something else. iTunes is made to sort your music, something many people are new to- organisation.

So 30GB? or 80GB?

You must also consider the physical sizes of each (80gb just isnt as slim and sexy), but also your music library... are you really going to listen to it all?

And if you arent, are you really going to be bothered to put some on and not others?... If your like me you go through phases of music... so in theory once you get over a band you can always delete them out of your library to save space.

I'd get the 80Gb, so that you dont have to bother... that way you can use it as a backup for your computer as well, as an external HD... not that you cant do this with a 30gb, but if your music library is 40gb alone...

The new iPod 5th gens (+1/2) are great, they have a longer battery life and better movie compatability and search functions. I recommend you get an account with iTunes (free but u need a credit card) just so you can get all that free album art.

I'm happy with my 30gb, because I Have a small music library.

remember to factor in the cost of a skin/cover as these iPods scratch easily (one major downside)...

I hope they do what they did with the nano's and give them a hard coloured frosted aluminium shell... it might be worth waiting a month or two for.

perko1988

HSC
Have you looked at iRiver ? its anothere viable option, i have a 20gb iriver H10. it can store the exuivalent of what a 40gb ipod would, as it can handle not only mp3, or whatever format itunes creates, but it does wma, which has a better sound quality at higher compressions - basically you get twice as much music of the same quality in the same space (can be explained more if someone needs clarification)

give iriver a look, just add .com.au and you'l find it.

doesnt do movies tho if thats what you want, but then the pmp by irvier kills any ipod for video.

dont just automatically get an ipod because they are so heavily marketed, there are heaps of other options, creative make good players too, and numerous others. work out what you want it to do, then start comparing models and brands

cheers.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
i have to admit, i have a creative zen micro but i think the ipod is leaps and bounds ahead of the competition.

The only reason you hear about so many ipod problems is so many people have them - there is nothing to say they are less reliable than creatives or irivers.

The only thing that deters me from ipods is being forced to use itunes, but there are probably other alternatives out there anyway.

but as an mp3 player, the ipod is superior in every way to all the others

perko1988

HSC
in response to ^^ that i simply must say only:

Apple have got you!

bahahaha :rofl:

btw - i never said it did video, and i never said mp4, b4 you say WRONG check what i am comparing :)
Nolanistic said:
Wrong, LBR VBR MP4 has Greater Fidelity than the equivalent WMA. (www.hydrogenaudio.org)

H.264 - the Future of Downloaded TV Shows and the like. [/thread]

Last edited:

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
all my experiences of ipods is that they eventual break, sooner rather than later too ;)

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
bumping this a little...

Im actually like seremify007, except i have nothing atm.

I was thinking of a Creative Zen Vision M (30gb), has anyone compared that with the ipod 30gb?

Its a lot of money i dont want it to be a waste in only one years time if it fuks up.

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
Whatever you do, don't get the Zune!! LOL

iPod's great my friend had a 30GB Video and he's in love with it. It hasn't broken down (been about 6 months)

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Supra said:
bumping this a little...

Im actually like seremify007, except i have nothing atm.

I was thinking of a Creative Zen Vision M (30gb), has anyone compared that with the ipod 30gb?

Its a lot of money i dont want it to be a waste in only one years time if it fuks up.
I want to get the Creative one too, I looked at it and the 30GB iPod and the creative has more features and (according to customer reviews) better sound and visual quality.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
This is such an old thread... funnily enough I bought an iPod Nano 16gb just last week for my gf for Valentines Day with an engraving. She has a Classic iPod but she wanted something which supports her Bose bluetooth speaker. For me, my iPods all live in cars pretty much as I use my iPhone with iTunes Match on the go. Funny how times change.

It's also interesting that there's not much competition in the $100-$500 price range anymore in Australia. Sony, Creative, Microsoft, etc... all wiped out in a slowly dying market, but as mentioned above, iPods are still popular as dedicated devices. An iPod Touch is essentially a full fledged music player but is too large and bulky, especially when she has an iPhone 4S (I'd feel stupid buying an iPod with identical specs other than screen to her 3 year old phone).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)