• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

SHOULD I DO ANCIENT OR GEO (or bio) (1 Viewer)

speedy_elephant

HSC
Pls help me, subject selection forms are already out and but idk what to do
Context: I have three subject spots (last subject and 2 reserves) and I know that they’ll be ancient, geo, and bio. Idk how to order them apart from bio being second reserve.
i’m good at geo n came first in year in y9. I like geo as a hobby eg geoguessr (when it was free) and capital city trivia etc. y9 geo content was good. I’ve seen the y11 geo content and it seems good EXCEPT FOR SGP. I have no remote idea or area of interest for the sgp and I’m pretty bad at time management with big projects.
I’m also good at history and I like ancient way more than modern. Didn’t do it in y9 but as of y10 semester 1 reports I’m way above average. But looking at y11 content, some of it is interesting and some not so much. Generally my enjoyment of history is largely dependent on the topic as well. Ofc there’s also the HI but it looks less intimidating than the sgp.
also my school traditionally does well in geo. it used to do well in ancient but this few years there have been barely (none last year) band 6s.
Or should I fucj everything and do bio. So far I’m dropping science. I’m pretty mediocre in all sciences but bio is my favourite junior science. I heard there was a lot of memorising which I can do, although honestly I suck at pracs and experiments. I’ve always liked bio content and it’s the same for y11+12 content.
What should I do?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
From your post, it seems that your decision will most likely be between Ancient History or Geography. Biology does not appear to tick as many boxes for you as the other two subjects. In such a case, the best option would of course be to take both subjects in year 11, although given your school’s reserve system, it is unclear whether that would be possible. The reason that taking both subject is ideal is that you would be able to experience both subjects at no cost throughout year 11 (because none of your year 11 results will count towards your HSC results or ATAR), allowing you to make an informed decision regarding the subject to keep for year 12.

With that being said, while it is definitely important to consider personal interest when choosing subjects, one must acknowledge that this may not always be possible, and that you may as such end up with a subject where there are areas that you may not enjoy as much and/or have concerns regarding your performance potential. Because of this, it is important to do your utmost to ensure favourable performance, including regularly studying and seeking assistance when needed. From your post, the performance of previous HSC Geography cohorts at your school is a promising indication of two important elements:
  • The academic capability of your HSC Geography cohort.
  • The teaching quality of the Geography course at your school.
Based on this, it seems that Geography would be the subject to prioritise.

I hope this helps! 😄

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)