Should I do both Extension English & Extension Maths in HSC? (1 Viewer)

youcute

HSC
Hey, so I'm in year 11 and I just finished my prelims.

The subjects that I do currently include:

- Advanced English
- Extension English
- Advanced Maths
- Extension Maths
- Studies of Religion II
- Biology
- Chemistry

(12 units altogether)

So my original was to drop extension English when I reached year 12 because I feel like doing two extensions will be too taxing BUT I'm starting to reconsider this idea and I'm thinking about dropping biology instead. I'm doing relatively well in extension English but relatively average in biology. I'm not sure what I should do. Dropping bio will free up a lot of time for me and take a lot of stress off my shoulders BUT I'm not sure if doing two extensions in the HSC is the right choice. (Oh yeah and I'm thinking about going into medicine if that helps)

I NEED YOUR OPINIONS PLEASE!

HSC
N/A
I think that if you're doing well in your extension subjects you should definitely keep them.

How are you doing in SOR II? That's probably the only irrelevant subject you're currently taking (if you're thinking about going into medicine).

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
given you're doing well in extension and average in biology, I think it's best you dropped biology. dropping biology would indeed free up a lot of time because it's a very heavy subject, and this would then give you the time you need to study for your extension and remaining subjects. doing multiple extension subjects can be hard, but is not an issue at all if you're dedicated and stay on top of your work, and ultimately would benefit your ATAR because ext subjects scale well. from what I've seen, there are only a handful of universities in Australia that require Biology (or other sciences) as assumed knowledge for their medicine courses, usually it's just English and/or mathematics. so don't think too hard about biology being necessary in order to study med

if you're worried about the workload of two extension subjects, then I guess you could consider dropping extension English but I don't recommend it because ext subjects scale better, as a potential med student you're better off more experienced with English/maths than biology, and also because you mentioned you were doing better in ext compared to biology

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hey, so I'm in year 11 and I just finished my prelims.

The subjects that I do currently include:

- Advanced English
- Extension English
- Advanced Maths
- Extension Maths
- Studies of Religion II
- Biology
- Chemistry

(12 units altogether)

So my original was to drop extension English when I reached year 12 because I feel like doing two extensions will be too taxing BUT I'm starting to reconsider this idea and I'm thinking about dropping biology instead. I'm doing relatively well in extension English but relatively average in biology. I'm not sure what I should do. Dropping bio will free up a lot of time for me and take a lot of stress off my shoulders BUT I'm not sure if doing two extensions in the HSC is the right choice. (Oh yeah and I'm thinking about going into medicine if that helps)

I NEED YOUR OPINIONS PLEASE!
If you're doing better in ext english then keep that but make sure you check all the medicine uni requirements before you drop biology (even interstate ones) just in case they need it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)