Should I do Ext 1 Maths or Mathematics? (1 Viewer)

Protract

HSC
I'm good at Maths, been getting A's and B's on my reports since Year 7. I guess my real question is how much harder is 3U Maths to 2U Maths? Is there not much difficulty between them? Is 3U just more advanced 2U work? I know that Mathematics is just an average scaling subject, so if I'm good at Maths, it will be good to take Extension 1 and take advantage of it's great scaling.

lil_pembo

HSC
Do three unit, then you can drop to 2 unit if it doesnt suit. you cant increase if you choose 2.
Go with 3, no harm in dropping :)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
If you are good at your stage 5.3 maths or decent at least. Try 3 Unit. As lil_pembo said, you can always drop it.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Do 3U in year 11. You can drop out anytime if it seems too difficult. I'd also recommend taking up 4U in Year 12 if 3U is easily manageable.
As for the difference between 2U and 3U, there isn't too much. 3U is more application based while in 2U you can simply regurgitate formulae and substitute for most questions.
2U : Many people score 100% in HSC with over an hour to spare
3U : Same people score 95-100% with few minutes to spare.
4U : They'd be lucky to get over 85%, let alone complete every question.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Do 3U in year 11. You can drop out anytime if it seems too difficult. I'd also recommend taking up 4U in Year 12 if 3U is easily manageable.
As for the difference between 2U and 3U, there isn't too much. 3U is more application based while in 2U you can simply regurgitate formulae and substitute for most questions.
2U : Many people score 100% in HSC with over an hour to spare
3U : Same people score 95-100% with few minutes to spare.
4U : They'd be lucky to get over 85%, let alone complete every question.
Didn't you post this up before?

Protract

HSC
Is it true that the Yr 11 course in MX1 is the exact same as 2U Year 12?

Alkanes

HSC
Nope different so in yr 11 you start to learn about calculus (differentiation, tangents/curves etc). In Yr 12 2U you learn another aspect of calculus which is called integration. So Yr 12 is a slight build up.

Protract

HSC
That's what people said in the "What is the difference between Yr 11 and Yr 12 2 Unit Math?"

jnney

lemon
HSC
MX1 certainly requires a lot more effort than 2U. I don't think it's necessarily much harder, but it is a demanding course in such a way that requires a lot of consistency - hence 'extension'. There's no point in doing MX1 even if it scales high if you're not going to do well in it.

If you really enjoy maths I suggest you do MX1. Also, year 11 is a test run for year 12 so I suggest you make all the makes you need to make because there is no room for that in year 12.

Good luck with your studies. :)

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I think you should try it. I contemplate occasionally if I should have tried it because my results are decent in Mathematics. In fact, the only reason I don't regret not doing it is because I HATE the Ext teacher and having him for over 6 hrs a week (had this teacher in Yr 9 and 10 and that's when my maths rank crashed) would be awful. My mathematics teacher is really good with lots of years of experience.

So yeah give it a go I say, otherwise you'll wonder. You seem like you'd be able handle it, I assume you're doing 5.3 atm.

Protract

HSC
Yeah I do 5.3, my teacher says I am more than capable of 3 Unit, but it will be a lot more work than Mathematics, and she says to consider that if I do 2 Unit, in year 12 it would benefit me because I might get better ranks. She also says that if I do Math Ext 1, it will take up like half my study time and my other subjects will suffer. And if I pick Ext 1, it won't be because for the scaling because I think I can cope with it, but of course scaling plays a part too.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I do 5.3, my teacher says I am more than capable of 3 Unit, but it will be a lot more work than Mathematics, and she says to consider that if I do 2 Unit, in year 12 it would benefit me because I might get better ranks. She also says that if I do Math Ext 1, it will take up like half my study time and my other subjects will suffer. And if I pick Ext 1, it won't be because for the scaling because I think I can cope with it, but of course scaling plays a part too.
Do 3U. I managed to complete 2U in Year 11, and get a decent mark in the HSC, and I'm doing alright in my other subjects as well, despite not being particularly talented.
I'm sure you can handle it as well. It's not about how intelligent you are, but about how much effort you put in.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
There's always an option of dropping it. You might as well try it Protract.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)