Should I drop 4 unit math? (1 Viewer)

retata

HSC
I'm doing a rather excessive amount of work for HSC (I'm handling it OK so far). I'm doing: 4 Unit math (incl. 2unit until trials), Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Eng Adv. Telling people the subjects i do seems to send them into a fit and past HSC students suggest i drop Bio and keep 4 unit, my ranks in my subjects so far are:
1st/28 in Chem
tied 1st/15 in Physics
tied 2nd/33 in Bio
5th/26 in 3unit math
3rd/35 2unit math
19/30 in english :eek2:.

I haven't done task 1 for 4 unit math yet but I'm having a bit of difficulty with it, maths and science seem to be my strong points, but if my work load ends up too much or my English keeps suffering, should i drop 4 unit?

enoilgam

HSC
Since you havent done your first assessment for 4 unit yet, I would hang onto it for a little while longer.

lance687876

HSC
Uni Grad
do 4 unit. drop bio.
these 2 dudes suffered in 4 unit maths in my school (as in, got like 10-20% raw in the exam) but got alligned up to like 35/50. and mind you that brings up your atar like hell.
your ranks don't matter if you're in puny little classes. it's all up to how well you go in your externals. and you don't have to do very well in 4 unit to get high marks lol.

funstudy

HSC
Task 1 was quite daunting for me as well. If you're 5th in 3U, definitely continue with it. There will be a lot of times when you think about giving up but I advise you strongly don't. Scaling is worth it- around 60% would translate to Band 6.

RishBonjour

HSC
do 4 unit. drop bio.
these 2 dudes suffered in 4 unit maths in my school (as in, got like 10-20% raw in the exam) but got alligned up to like 35/50. and mind you that brings up your atar like hell.
your ranks don't matter if you're in puny little classes. it's all up to how well you go in your externals. and you don't have to do very well in 4 unit to get high marks lol.
what if he gets 96 in biology?
70 in 4u is fucking shit

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Do not underestimate the aligning AND scaling of 4U math

You will be surprised if you read some topics of past raw marks for Math ext 2 and compare them to the scaling report of the respective year of the raw marks. (Eg, 2012 raw marks and aligned marks compared with scaled marks)

Example: http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=254399 (this is Shadowdude's raw mark thread btw)

Below is a google search (it should show some URLs to scaling reports from previous years.)
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=scaling+report+nsw&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Hopefully the the new raw mark database is being released soon (if not now).
You call?

RishBonjour

HSC
Do not underestimate the aligning AND scaling of 4U math

You will be surprised if you read some topics of past raw marks for Math ext 2 and compare them to the scaling report of the respective year of the raw marks. (Eg, 2012 raw marks and aligned marks compared with scaled marks)

Example: http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=254399 (this is Shadowdude's raw mark thread btw)

Below is a google search (it should show some URLs to scaling reports from previous years.)
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=scaling+report+nsw&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Hopefully the the new raw mark database is being released soon (if not now).
I've seen them both a long time ago. I understand 4u's unprecedented scaling and aligning but I'm pretty sure getting a 70 in 4u doesn't align better than a 92+ in biology.
Also I read somewhere, around 30% or something get e4 in 4 unit so yes definitely a top subject but if you think you will get less than 80 no point doing it imo.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, getting below 80 in 4U means that you could've probably gotten B6 in 2U and gotten a better scaled mark (same goes for Biology).

The best advice, as enoilgam said, is to keep 4U until all of your assessments are done - in fact, if you feel that you can handle the workload, you can keep it till half yearly and figure out what to drop then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)