Should I drop adv english (1 Viewer)

I want 95 atar

HSC
im gonna do mx2 chem phys in year 12, but I'm struggling rly hard with eng and I'm considering to drop to standard. can i still get 95+ atar with standard eng

Average Boreduser

๐™ฑ๐šŠ๐š—๐š—๐šŽ๐š
HSC
theres people who have gotten 99+ atars with english std. You'd be fine.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
it's harder to get a band 6 with standard than it is with adv (I think less than 1% of standard candidature gets a band 6, and there's more standard students than english), because adv aligns better than standard. and not going to lie I've looked at standard texts and ngl they're pretty boring, adv texts are pretty fun and interesting and have better resources for analysis from what I've seen

You can definitely get a 95+ atar, but you can maximise your chances of doing so by keeping advanced. since you're in year 11, try to see how you go this year and what you're struggling with in english at the moment. the effort pays off - from what I've seen + personal experience english in y12 becomes 100x easier if you put in the effort in year 11 to build up your skills

yolo tengo

mitsuya's fanboy
HSC
it's harder to get a band 6 with standard than it is with adv (I think less than 1% of standard candidature gets a band 6, and there's more standard students than english), because adv aligns better than standard. and not going to lie I've looked at standard texts and ngl they're pretty boring, adv texts are pretty fun and interesting and have better resources for analysis from what I've seen

You can definitely get a 95+ atar, but you can maximise your chances of doing so by keeping advanced. since you're in year 11, try to see how you go this year and what you're struggling with in english at the moment. the effort pays off - from what I've seen + personal experience english in y12 becomes 100x easier if you put in the effort in year 11 to build up your skills
i saw a tiktok which showed that standard aligns the same as advanced on scaling, so like theres no difference in scaling between std and adv

jimmysmith560

Le Phรฉnix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
yolo tengo is correct. English Standard and English Advanced do indeed scale the same. The difference, however, is that English Advanced offers superior alignment compared to English Standard. This appears to be a mere confusion between the terms "scaling", which is the process that UAC does as part of determining students' ATARs, and "alignment", which is the process that NESA uses in determining students' Assessment Marks and Examination Marks (i.e. the marks that are reported to students).

UAC states the following in this regard:

"As NESA places English Studies, English Standard and English Advanced raw marks on a common scale, these courses are combined and scaled as a single course but are reported as separate courses in order to be consistent with NESAโ€™s reporting practice."

carrotsss

HSC
Donโ€™t drop. English standard is pretty much identical to advanced in difficulty (hence why the scaling is on a common scale based on common module), but instead of being in a class full of smart kids who help you get better, you end up in a class of dropkicks which will undoubtedly make your ATAR lower eventhough the scaling is the same.

I want 95 atar

HSC

I got absolutely smashed by the first assessment task, I put in my best effort and got 14/25, my teacher said even if I work to my fullest the best I can probably get in adv eng is a mid band 4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)