Should I drop English Extension 1? (1 Viewer)

lainiebrain90

HSC
I'm currently in Year 11 and I need to make a choice for my subjects for the HSC. I am firm on doing 4U Math, Economics, Physics, Chemistry and English Advanced as my ranks and marks are quite good. However, I am not too sure if I should English Extension 1 as this year I have performed pretty good but at the same time 13 units would be too much. Any advice?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
There are a few possible perspectives with respect to your case:
  1. Keep English Extension 1: your good performance in this subject is the primary reason for this perspective, as well as the assumption that you have a high chance of maintaining this good performance going forward
  2. Drop English Extension 1: Having 13 units in year 12 (including Mathematics Extension 2, which on its own is a difficult subject) may be overwhelming to maintain throughout year 12. In addition, even without English Extension 1, you will still have 12 units, meaning you have 2 backup units in case any unfavourable and unexpected performance occurs in one of your subjects.
  3. Keep English Extension 1 at the start of year 12 and see how you go with 13 units: If you find that 13 units are manageable in terms of studying, staying up to date with content as well as preparing for assessment tasks and exams, then keeping English Extension 1 would be a good option. If you find that 13 units are overwhelming, you should drop English Extension 1 and continue year 12 with 12 units.
I would personally recommend dropping English Extension 1 mainly because you already have 2 backup units, not to mention that you are performing well across the rest of your subjects, meaning there would be no need for a 13th unit that may result in an overwhelming workload. I would've suggested keeping English Extension 1 and then determining whether or not to drop it if you had been doing 11 units because in such a case, an extra 1 unit is good to have.

I hope this helps! 😄

may22

HSC
Wow, you've got some pretty tough subjects. If you're set on keeping those STEM subjects and you're doing well, and you don't need X1 English for uni or anything, I really don't see why you should keep it. It would be adding more weight to an already tough workload

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)