Should I drop from Maths Extension 1 to Advanced maths??? (1 Viewer)

hayhay2012

HSC
Year 12 has only just started and already I am having extreme difficulties with extension 1 maths. I have completed the whole year 11 and 12 2 unit course in year 11 (not done it for the HSC though) what I mean is, if I dropped to 2unit the whole year 12 would just be revision of what I learnt last year. It is really tempting, but I already purchased over $100 worth of study guides and 3unit textbooks, I think I can return the textbooks but the studyguides are non exchangeable/refundable. My school takes the year 12 year to do the whole extension 1 course and I've only done circle geometry and polynomials so far and already I'm stressed and upset/unable to cope with the workload. Do you reccomend I drop to 11 units? I am already taking english extension 2 which clashes with it so I am currently unable to attend some e2 english lessons. Or will dropping ext 1 maths be a waste of money and drag my ATAR down? Thanks so much everyone

jnney

lemon
HSC
Maybe you should drop ext1. That having said, make sure you've given yourself enough time to think over it - don't make a decision out of impulse. If you don't do well in ext1, it probably won't be counted in your atar anyway.

Good luck :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If it's too hard, drop. Sell your study stuff.

thisiswar

HSC
Doing 3u will actually give you more insight and possibly help in your 2u marks. From experience I've found that the top students in 2u are usually also 3u stundents. If you can master 3u, you can do well in 2u. However, if 3u is taking up too much of your time and you are struggling in 2u as well then drop it, coz 3u will only scale well if your 2u is good.

Bobbo1

HSC
Yep, definitely worth keeping 3u, because it significantly helps your 2U (which will probably count)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)