Should I drop Investigating Science for HSC? (1 Viewer)

mollie.rc

HSC
Hi guys,
Just wanted some advice please from BOS, I was also going to talk to my careers adviser about this.
My subjects are 3U English, legal, industrial tech multimedia, sor1, investigating science and Accelerated Maths.
I finished Accelerated Maths last year, I got a hsc mark of 72, which is solid and I'm happy, it was a hard course but did it.
I am stronger at English and writing, so not sure if I drop Investigating as I don't like science as much as other subjects? I am able to do this as I currently have 12 units for hsc but could drop it and have 10 units for hsc.
Saying this I am 2nd out of 20 for investigating (only 1 class of this subject at my school) and the work is not hard, just a lot of different content and not as interested in it as other subjects.
Basically, do I drop Investigating and have 4 more studies a week, total 10 studies a week? Or do I keep it as a different subject and give me buffer room if I don't do as well at religion for example.
Hope this isn't too confusing, any help is appreciated!
Thank you :)

mollie.rc

HSC
Hi guys,
Just wanted some advice please from BOS, I was also going to talk to my careers adviser about this.
My subjects are 3U English, legal, industrial tech multimedia, sor1, investigating science and Accelerated Maths.
I finished Accelerated Maths last year, I got a hsc mark of 72, which is solid and I'm happy, it was a hard course but did it.
I am stronger at English and writing, so not sure if I drop Investigating as I don't like science as much as other subjects? I am able to do this as I currently have 12 units for hsc but could drop it and have 10 units for hsc.
Saying this I am 2nd out of 20 for investigating (only 1 class of this subject at my school) and the work is not hard, just a lot of different content and not as interested in it as other subjects.
Basically, do I drop Investigating and have 4 more studies a week, total 10 studies a week? Or do I keep it as a different subject and give me buffer room if I don't do as well at religion for example.
Hope this isn't too confusing, any help is appreciated!
Thank you :)
Adding onto this the course I want to do the atar is low 90s, assuming that's still good just wanted to also add this

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
While taking subjects that you are interested in is important, so is your performance. You have a total of 12 units worth of subjects, 2 of which you have already completed since you accelerated maths. I believe that a key element in making an informed decision is to compare your performance in maths (i.e. your HSC mark in that subject) with your performance potential in Investigating Science. Since you appear to be in a favourable position relative to your cohort in Investigating Science, this could perhaps indicate that you are capable of performing at a standard that exceeds your HSC mark in maths. From a performance perspective, this would be a reason to keep Investigating Science.

Additionally, this comparison, when considered alongside the degree that you wish to study, can further inform your decision. You mentioned that the degree that you are interested in requires an ATAR in the low 90s. An HSC mark of 72 in maths is not likely to make a contribution to your ATAR that is consistent with the requirement (i.e. it likely will not be enough for an ATAR in the low 90s). Not only that, but dropping Investigating Science leaves you with 10 units, which means that maths will definitely count towards your ATAR. However, should you choose to keep Investigating Science, you will have the opportunity to maximise your results in this subject and potentially replace maths in terms of counting towards your ATAR. In such a case, you would be more likely to achieve a sufficiently high ATAR for your desired course.

I hope this helps! 😄

mollie.rc

HSC
While taking subjects that you are interested in is important, so is your performance. You have a total of 12 units worth of subjects, 2 of which you have already completed since you accelerated maths. I believe that a key element in making an informed decision is to compare your performance in maths (i.e. your HSC mark in that subject) with your performance potential in Investigating Science. Since you appear to be in a favourable position relative to your cohort in Investigating Science, this could perhaps indicate that you are capable of performing at a standard that exceeds your HSC mark in maths. From a performance perspective, this would be a reason to keep Investigating Science.

Additionally, this comparison, when considered alongside the degree that you wish to study, can further inform your decision. You mentioned that the degree that you are interested in requires an ATAR in the low 90s. An HSC mark of 72 in maths is not likely to make a contribution to your ATAR that is consistent with the requirement (i.e. it likely will not be enough for an ATAR in the low 90s). Not only that, but dropping Investigating Science leaves you with 10 units, which means that maths will definitely count towards your ATAR. However, should you choose to keep Investigating Science, you will have the opportunity to maximise your results in this subject and potentially replace maths in terms of counting towards your ATAR. In such a case, you would be more likely to achieve a sufficiently high ATAR for your desired course.

I hope this helps! 😄
Thanks so much that’s great advice! I think for now I will keep it and if I start to hate it maybe I’d consider again dropping it. But you’re right better to keep it and be safe than drop it and regret making my atar worse. 😁

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)