Should I drop maths (1 Viewer)

carrotsss

HSC
Original Poster said:
hi
this is probably going to be a long post :angel:
basically ever since year 8/9, I've hated maths and I always knew I didn't want to do it for the hsc, even maths standard. I have pretty bad maths anxiety and when i don't understand something I just give up and I can't change my habits unfortunately :tongue:
anyway, I was made to choose it for y11 bc nothing else was on the line however i fully intended to drop it, but now the times come and i talked to my careers advisor and apparently starting in 2024 some unis (he mentioned ANU and USYD) won't allow students to study there regardless of course if they haven't taken maths for the hsc. i was really surprised by this and now i don't know whether to put up with maths and have 7 subjects or quit and do 6.

advice is appreciated thanks :hammer:
What do you want to study in university?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
It seems to me that your careers advisor could be misinformed. While USyd does have maths prerequisites for a number of its degrees (for example, a minimum of a band 4 in Mathematics Advanced for its Bachelor of Engineering Honours), there is no indication that it will introduce a maths prerequisite for all of its degrees (you may wish to check the USyd document containing a breakdown of prerequisites and other elements for each of its degrees). Not only does this not appear to be the case, but it would not be logical to introduce such a requirement, especially for degrees that feature little to no maths-related content, i.e. why would a student hoping to study a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Music need to take maths in year 11 and year 12?

Your careers advisor's advice appears to be partially correct with respect to ANU. While ANU is indeed introducing a mandatory maths and English requirement from 2024, completion is required only in year 11:
  • "at least one high one high school maths course/unit in at least one semester during Year 11."
Based on this, unless you wish to study a degree at USyd that has a maths prerequisite, you should be able to drop maths and still apply to both universities as usual.

I hope this helps! :D

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Original Poster said:
hi
this is probably going to be a long post :angel:
basically ever since year 8/9, I've hated maths and I always knew I didn't want to do it for the hsc, even maths standard. I have pretty bad maths anxiety and when i don't understand something I just give up and I can't change my habits unfortunately :tongue:
anyway, I was made to choose it for y11 bc nothing else was on the line however i fully intended to drop it, but now the times come and i talked to my careers advisor and apparently starting in 2024 some unis (he mentioned ANU and USYD) won't allow students to study there regardless of course if they haven't taken maths for the hsc. i was really surprised by this and now i don't know whether to put up with maths and have 7 subjects or quit and do 6.

advice is appreciated thanks :hammer:
usyd says this in the uni guide my cohort was given last year for uni in 2024: 'The mathematics course prerequisite is required for courses in advanced computing, agriculture, commerce, engineering, medicine, pharmacy, project management, psychology, science, and veterinary science, including combined courses' - the prereq refers to at least a band 4 in advanced maths but if you aren't planning to do any of these courses in university i feel like it would be better for you to drop it. a few more courses in usyd that don't have maths advanced as a prereq have it as a recommended study/assumed knowledge though, so i would advise you to do your research

anu has less prerequisites for maths advanced but a decent number of them (degrees under the aforementioned in the usyd quote) still have it as assumed knowledge

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)