Should I even study for 2 unit maths? (1 Viewer)

cookiebook

HSC
Math is my absolute worst subject. I came last ranked for trials and for overall assessment rank, i'm in the bottom 5. I pretty much failed every single assessment with like 20% in each and I regret choosing it, math is just not my thing, should have done general math :(

I do five other subjects:

english standard
biology
physics
chemistry
business studies

I am ranked in the top 10-30% for these subjects and i'm doing pretty good in them. Since maths 2 unit won't count towards my atar, should I even bother to study for it for the HSC? My parents won't allow me to drop maths, they don't even know i'm doing this poorly and the school is really strict about dropping subjects, especially maths so should I just not study for it and focus on other subjects?

jaycoo50

HSC
Yes. you should, why?

Because you never know how you will perform in HSC exam for all you subjects, maths might be your worest subject but of you completely bomb one of you subjects in HSC, maths may end up in your Atar calculations.

I can help you further, like what is you ranks in each of you subjects. What was the top mark in your class for maths 2u, I scored 100/100 for 2u in my trial last year as an accelerant and come 2 in state.

What do you find hard, do you understand the content well enough. Maybe you don't practice often. what I used to do is practice one HSC paper fro 2u each day, then mark it.

cookiebook

HSC
I haven't received my ranks for my subjects yet because we just finished my trials but I'm in the top 30%. I literally have no understanding of 2unit math, I even have trouble factorising simple equations. I haven't been studying AT ALL for maths so far and I don't think I ever remember actually sitting down and studying math. This is because i'm just lazy in general when it comes to math, I have a procrastination problem and I know that if I sit down and actually study for math, I will understand but I just never have the motivation to do math :l

Which is why I am just dreading the day of the HSC 2unit math exams :'(

jaycoo50

HSC
I haven't received my ranks for my subjects yet because we just finished my trials but I'm in the top 30%. I literally have no understanding of 2unit math, I even have trouble factorising simple equations. I haven't been studying AT ALL for maths so far and I don't think I ever remember actually sitting down and studying math. This is because i'm just lazy in general when it comes to math, I have a procrastination problem and I know that if I sit down and actually study for math, I will understand but I just never have the motivation to do math :l

Which is why I am just dreading the day of the HSC 2unit math exams :'(
Lol, trust me maths 2u is not hard, thats is what you think, as a result you become lazy.

Just sit down first, make a formula sheet for each topics, as you make you formula sheet, you will understand them. Then go do past papers after that. This is what I used to do in year 11. Then I choose maths ext 1 and 2 in year 12.

Don't loose sight of you goals, maths will boost you Atar, you still have a chance to ace the HSC exam, it is never too late bro.

Do like 2 hours a day of maths 2u everyday till HSC exam.

cookiebook

HSC
So even if I have a really bad understanding of the content, if I start now, i'll still be able to finish before the exam? I purchased a past paper book for 2unit math from 1995-2011 recently so i'll start :) Thanks :)

HSC
Since all 3 sciences are pretty good in scaling compared to the other subjects, it sort of saves you in a sense but keep in mind that standard, business and ranking last internally for maths will scale you down. But you have 12 units so if maths is your worst one then don't worry too much about it/drop it. How well is your school rank? You could just have a strong cohort.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)