Should I take standard maths instead of advance maths? (1 Viewer)

Vultra_

HSC
Currently in year 10, doing 5.3 maths and got 69% in my yearly. I'm feeling pessimistic about me achieving an 80+ mark for advanced maths in the hsc and am currently deciding whether to choose standard, in standard I could achieve a way better mark which would give me a better atar and, because of the easy difficulty, I can spend more time on other subjects. For university, I can take a bridging course at UNSW which will allow me to get in without completing Advanced maths. Is this a good choice?

Kangaaroo

HSC
N/A
Advanced maths can be harder than people think - I've actually done better overall in extension 1 than in advanced. I'd say standard would be a better option for you.

Majinee

HSC
You'll have to consider how much effort you're planning to put into maths. If you know that you're much more confident in other subjects then I would recommend doing standard maths. Also, you could do the advanced course for year 11 and see how it goes - you can drop down to standard for year 12 (I'm sure it's not as difficult as advanced).

Personally, I prefer to do math than write essays so taking up advanced math was comfortable for me.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Honestly, you would be better to keep doing Advanced Mathematics. Bridging courses are only a couple of weeks, whilst you have more time at school to grasp the material. Maybe take 12 units in HSC, and even though you should study for the subject, its not the end of the world if it does not count.

What's the degree you are thinking of doing?

Vultra_

HSC
Honestly, you would be better to keep doing Advanced Mathematics. Bridging courses are only a couple of weeks, whilst you have more time at school to grasp the material. Maybe take 12 units in HSC, and even though you should study for the subject, its not the end of the world if it does not count.

What's the degree you are thinking of doing?
economics either at UTS OR UNSW

_rakelt

HSC
The concepts involved in advance is quite different to standard. choose advance and if things dont work, drop

MONONYMOUS

HSC
Currently in year 10, doing 5.3 maths and got 69% in my yearly. I'm feeling pessimistic about me achieving an 80+ mark for advanced maths in the hsc and am currently deciding whether to choose standard, in standard I could achieve a way better mark which would give me a better atar and, because of the easy difficulty, I can spend more time on other subjects. For university, I can take a bridging course at UNSW which will allow me to get in without completing Advanced maths. Is this a good choice?
I agree with BLIT2014, probably better to do Advance Math. If worst comes to worse you can always go down to Standard. Plus, you will have realised whether or not you can keep up with the Advance Math before Year 12 because you'd be doing it in Year 11. Keeping 12 units is also an option. I'd take Advance Math if I were you, and give it maybe 1-2 terms to see if you're okay with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)