Shouldn't I get marks for this??? (1 Viewer)

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
In my physics paper, Im arguing over 2 marks that I should have got!!! My teacher is a f**king idiot and I dun have a clue about the logic behind his so-called "unique" marking system!

These questions are from the independent trials:

First f**ked up question:
It asks, to state the role of a commutator. I wrote that it reverses the direction of the current in a coil every half a turn (which is obviously correct). Herez the stupid part. When I got my paper back, he awareded me one mark out of the two. He made a little comment asking me to explain why it reverses the current. I accepted it first, thinking I had genuinely got it wrong, but once I saw the marking criteria, it was exactly my answer. When I went to him for a correction he simply said no, its a suggested criteria, I altered it! I mean wtf is that! Im seriously peeved off about this! Is there anything that I can do???

Second f**ked up question:
Another question asked us to find the torque experienced at a particular time simply by using the formula: T = nBIA........ Now, the question was out of two marks. I did not write down the formula for the question, but I straight away subbed in the values for the formula, which was all correct! My only problem was a transcript error in the actual answer... I wrote the answer as 6.25, whereas it should have been 6.25x10^-3... I ended up getting 0 for this question! I mean, at least he should have given me one for the substitution!

Plz tell me what you think, and what I should do to get these marks, because they will definitely pull me up in class rankings!

ThAnX

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
First question: I think you do deserve the 1 mark. I have learned to take notice of the question of how much its worth. If its 2 marks then obviously you can't state one thing. I understand that the marking criteria may have your answer but the teachers don't have to follow it.

(Trust me i was in your situation. I had the same answer as the one in the CSSA marking guidelines. The answer i put was in -ALL- the textbooks. But the teacher thinks he is a smartass and goes checks the NASA website to prove to us they we are all wrong. Seriously, does he expect us to get up on that site for our HSC?)

Second question: This is a tough one. It does really depend on the teacher. You would definitely get a mark for writing the formula. And whether he wants to give out the mark for the end answer is up to him. Because it was 2 marks. 1 for formula and 1 for the correct answer. So I guess he wanted the end answer right.

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
1. dash - i got 2 marks for writing just that small sentence!!! practically the same..

2. i reckon in a way the formula should of being presented, coz the teacher want to see clearly where you used for teh valves for.. But if i were a teacher i give your a mark

but yeh it depends on the marker =/

Rahul

Dead Member
heheheh

1. u did deserve a mark. the teacher is a moron...

2. you must write the formula out. u cant jus show the subbed in values. the marking criteria gives a mark for that.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Damn people who sum up my whole post into a few sentences :p :p

I should learn to type less :p

Rahul

Dead Member
lol.

its easy coz i've already told dash he deserved a mark for the commutator one and no mark for the other one.

jus had to reiterate the point, thats all.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Yeah but i for some reason expanded on the situation :p

Rahul

Dead Member
haha thats jus because of the cssa paper...it was so gay, and that seems to come up in most discussions in 'physics', although the questions dash is referring to is from the easier indep paper.

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
Because it was 2 marks. 1 for formula and 1 for the correct answer. So I guess he wanted the end answer right.
That sux tho! Reckon I can scab half a mark?
Doubt it'll make any difference though...

Originally posted by Rahul
the questions dash is referring to is from the easier indep paper.
Alright... But the astrophysics section was kinda fuxed!

Originally posted by sukiyaki
i reckon in a way the formula should of being presented, coz the teacher want to see clearly where you used for teh valves for
I was arguing that by subbing in right, im bascially showing to the examiner that I know the formula... I was trying to show him that it was just a transcript error, but he just wouldn't listen!

Thanks for the input ppl

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
1. I'd agree with your teacher - you should have said why the commutator reverses the current (to ensure the rotor continues spinning).

2. Hrmmm... if it's obvious from your substitution that you knew what the formula was, I think you deserve the first mark. Otherwise, no.

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
What way could I get these few extra marks?
Because they are really very critical...

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
You can add it on and say why didn't I get 2 marks? Risky though.

Attach a $50 bill on your paper :D

Just keep begging :)

Complain that it was in the marking guidelines

forsaken_99

They aren't critical Dash. Those marks wouldn't matter in the end result so there is no use worrying about it.

It think that commutator should have only been one mark because it says only an identify type. If it was to DESCRIBE, then you would've needed the reason. Seeing that it was only one line, i think that the answer is all you should give.

On the second, i think its a bit harder because you didn't state the formula and didn't get the right answer.

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
You can add it on and say why didn't I get 2 marks? Risky though.
Just keep begging :)
Complain that it was in the marking guidelines
:( Tried that. But i think I'll just keep complaining to annoy him.

Originally posted by forsaken_99
They aren't critical Dash. Those marks wouldn't matter in the end result so there is no use worrying about it.
Yes it does! I'll explain at skool...

Viper

HSC
This is what i think....

1) You definately deserve 1 mark. No doubt about that. And IF the marking guidelines say the EXACT same thing as your response, then you deserve 2 marks. If not, the teacher can twist and turn all he wants without having to give you the extra mark. As for him saying that he changed the marking guidelines, did he give u a printout of the marking guideliness?? If he did, were they the NEW guidelines?? If so, you shouldn't get the new mark. If your teacher handed out the unedited guideliness, then you DEFINATELY deserve the mark. If this is the case, i suggest you talk to your head teacher about the problem. If your teacher is the head techer, then u have to seriously decide how much of an advantage you will gain - if you decide that its worth the trouble, see your principle (might be a bit extreme) or submit an official 're-consideration of assessment mark' clearly detailing the discrepancy.

2) Im sorry, but the way i (and all my friends) have been taught, the correct method for answering a calculation question is to state the correct formula, substitute the correct values, and state the correct answer with the correct units and direction (for a force).
So, what im saying is that you shouldn't get either of those marks. Sorry.

So, theres my two cents. Im sorry if i have pissed a few people off, but this is what i believe should happen.

Cheers

Last edited:

juber

jhv,m
HSC
N/A
ok i hate to be unsuportive but i am inclined to agree with your teacher.

as far as the question about the commutator, i believe that it is fair for the marker to descriminate by a mark based on the fact that you didn't mention the role. You mentioned what it does, but not its role. That is a fair enough call as far as im concerned The role is to maintain a torque force in the same direction - not to reverse current (thats what it does) - if you know what I mean. As far as the marking criteria, well if he changed it then thats fair enough, just as long as he applied the same changes for everyone.

The second question is a common scenario. You dont get marks for anything unless you state the formula (that is if you get the question wrong). This is something that doesn't just apply to physics but also other subjects....

What I will agree with you on howevor is the fact that the physics marking criteria is shit - not just in your case, but in general. The physics marking criteria is a bit on the dodgy and picky side so you have to expect these kinds of things. You have to give more info rather than less. Cover your arse. In your case your teacher was just implementing the same marking standards as you will get in the HSC so yeah...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)