Show us your Thinkpads, sorry no MacBooks (1 Viewer)

financialwar

HSC
N/A
Show us your Thinkpad collection, the gold standard in professional/business mobile computing. Hopefully you have one "true" Thinkpads, that is pre xx20 generations.

Only T, W, X or X-tablet series are preferred, IBM generation are highly encouraged. People with L, R, edge, yoga, X1 carbon or other non traditional models are not encouraged because they are too consumer grade rather than business grade laptops.

And definitely no macbooks allowed and pls GTFO. This thread is only for men with real laptops, not for little girls with overpriced, underpowered shiny metal with a fruit logo piece of shit.

two w500 with wuxga resolution, these laptops are fucking beast when SSD are installed and capable of running all three external monitors behind them via a dock(u3011 and two u2410). Yep, and only costed $200 on ebay each. Fucking absolutely steal.

One x200 tablet with outdoor screen, with 400 nits brightness. This is the one I take outside. It's brighter than anything Apple can come up with.
Up the top is another x200 tablet with multitouch screen which I use for torrenting.

On the right is the T430.

ps. On the left, it's not a dildo, it a ps3 navigation controller if you're wondering.

Last edited by a moderator:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't keep photos handy of my thinkpads over the years nor do I keep them.

T43, T61, T420 x2, X230, X1, T430

Agreed they're business machines (other than the X1). Built tough. Not looking forward to x240 though as I'll need to get new chargers again just like when Lenovo changed them after taking over from IBM.

financialwar

HSC
N/A
Yep, not interested in any of the Thinkpads from the last three generations, they removed 7-row keyboard, made the trackpad bigger which no serious Thinkpadder would use, rid of the lights and not to mention the stupid one click trackpad from the **40 generation.

Last edited:

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
X1 Carbon fits for certain business roles, my service line will be getting half x1 carbons half T540p. It's light so it's good for travelling around with if needed

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Yep, not interested in any of the Thinkpads from the last three generations, they removed 7-row keyboard, made the trackpad bigger which no serious Thinkpadder would use, rid of the lights and not to mention the stupid one click trackpad from the **40 generation.
The buttonless trackpad isn't that bad - I actually like the fact it's decently sized (my fiance has the x240) and a bit nicer to touch. For me the key thing with a thinkpad is the red nub.

If you're really worried about the keyboard layout, then just buy the Lenovo USB keyboard? I have one of the older ones but it works great (although I miss not having a Windows key).

Do you use your thinkpad for business or for education/personal use?

I don't think the X1 Carbon is that bad - looks modern. But when I was using it for work I found mine crashed a bit but that was probably due to the beta image I was using.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Here's my desk at work with my think pad, think vision and usb keyboard. My Lenovo mouse however is rubbish so I don't use it.

financialwar

HSC
N/A
Not saying the X1 carbon is bad, I think it's a excellent ultrabook, and that's it. It's an ultrabook with Thinkpad branding and theme. It not a business laptop because it lacks docking, removable battery etc. It's marketed as a Thinkpad but not business Thinkpad. It's a great ultrabook with a business look as oppose to make ultrabooks which are shiny.

Also if you're at a desk, why not use proper mechanical keyboard and mouse as oppose to a separate keyboard with mimic laptop keyboard?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Not saying the X1 carbon is bad, I think it's a excellent ultrabook, and that's it. It's an ultrabook with Thinkpad branding and theme. It not a business laptop because it lacks docking, removable battery etc. It's marketed as a Thinkpad but not business Thinkpad. It's a great ultrabook with a business look as oppose to make ultrabooks which are shiny.
I consider myself a business user and I think to this day, I've carried around batteries more than I've ever swapped them due to needing a swap. If anything it was just a pain to think I might need it, keep carrying the spare battery, only to realise they were dead anyway. Had to replace them a few times though. I did appreciate the choice in battery size though when I needed the heavy duty one with the bit which sticks out the back.

Never been a fan of the docks though. I used to have the Lenovo USB dock but even that felt somewhat redundant as it saved me what, 10 seconds a day by not having to plug my monitor, network cable and mouse in?

Also if you're at a desk, why not use proper mechanical keyboard and mouse as oppose to a separate keyboard with mimic laptop keyboard?
Because I like this keyboard- it's the shape/layout/texture/etc I grew up with using Thinkpads and hence can type the fastest on it. And sometimes I'm too lazy to lift my hand up to grab the mouse so having the UltraNav on it is pretty useful.

I keep switching between this keyboard and my Logitech k480 Bluetooth keyboard though which can also dock/control my iPad with a switch on the side.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)