• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Similary triangles.. Congruency.. Coordinate Geometry (1 Viewer)

zaqwerty

HSC
God, I am terrible at proving "this" equals "that" and that "this" is parallel to "that" and I DESPISE the words "Give reasons".

I guess its because I'm terrible at geometry full stop. I never properly learnt the names and properties of all the shapes back in year 7 and 8, and I guess it shines through now.

Anyway, has anyone got any tips for getting better at this kind of thing? It's definately my down fall in maths. I can do the more difficult topics but I cant PROVE THAT TWO LINES ARE PARALLEL!!!!

Oh and P.S. I've tried many times to just do heaps of questions on geometry from my text book but I always end up checking the answers straight away and I can only handle doing it for ten minutes at a time (because I'm so bad at it).

(Woah.. I spelt "similar" wrong in the name of this thread. Now I can't even spell the damn thing)

Neurox

HSC
geometry is pretty important to maths, as is algebra. if u suck at one of those, then u need to practice more. i reckon geometry is easy if u know the reasoning. just know the rules and formulas and youll be fine.

kokodamonkey

HSC
to prove 2lines are parallel.. just do one of the following:
prove that alternate angles are equal (or show)
prove/show that corresponding angles are equal
prove/show that cointerior angles add to 180.

thatd be bout it.. that would show they are parallell..

PrettyVacant

HSC
Proofs are like mathematical essays =) You just have to learn the layout.

kokodamonkey

HSC
yeah i used to hate geometry but now that i know all the proofs back to front etc its easy. though it did let me down in stupid 2unit exam i had a few weeks back.. 94%. i lost half a mark for not writing SAS When proving a congruent triangle.. hahaha. then i forgot that i had prove 2sides were equal so i lost 2marks in the next question gay. 42/45.

zaqwerty

HSC
Thanks for everyones help. It tends to be that I can see why the triangles are congruent/similar but I can't put it into words.

I know all the cointerior, corresponding and alternate angles business, it's just anything to do with the properties of shapes, etc.

But anyway, thanks. And I guess I should probably try and learn the rules for my exam on Moday...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)