• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

simple trig function dillema (1 Viewer)

jisu

HSC
could someone inform me specifically as to when to use my calculator in degrees mode and when to use it in radian mode. i always get so confused.

in one trig question i did today i had to use both modes! ?=(

help ;_;

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
You can use radians for all situations, but if you prefer to work with degrees then a general rule is to always use radians when doing application of calculus to the physical world. In things such as geometry, degrees is fine unless otherwise specified.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Remember that 2pi=360 degrees, thus 1 degree = pi/180. However, I myself always use radians.

You can remember thing in degrees, like sin30=1/2, but in the end you should be writing sin(pi/6)=1/2

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
you also need the radian form when youre doing the trig functions

brett86

HSC
acmilan said:
if you prefer to work with degrees then a general rule is to always use radians when doing application of calculus
good point! 2u students often forget that they must use radians when doing anything that involves calculus

this is because in the derivation of the gradient of sin x, the gradient of sin x only equals cos x when:

which is only true when x is in radians, put ur calc into radians and try it for small x

2u students frequently make errors in this because the derivation of trig differentiation was removed after trig expansions were removed from the 2u course a long time ago

the board of studies has made many blunders...

Last edited:

who_loves_maths

I wanna be a nebula too!!
somewhere amidst the nebulaic cloud of your heart
HSC
you should remember some simple conversion formulae between radians and degrees also, just in case. ie. 'x' degrees = x*pi/180 radians ; and 'y' radians = y*180/pi degrees

and like ppl have said so far, be particularly careful of angle measure units when doing questions of the topic "applications of calculus". eg. in integrating definite integrals, or, when converting and changing ordinates of definite integrals, always use radians.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)