• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Six Australian Universities in International Top 50 (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
garr, UNSW beaten by the two Melbourne uni's..

but we beat Sydney Uni :p

(the USyd'ers will probably come up with something like "this ranking isn't accurate") lol

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Go the University of California:uhhuh:! As a side note, well done to Australian Universities:p. I have been hearing that our education system was actually sub-par with America's, but it looks as though ours isn't too bad after all:).

matt#1

HSC
N/A
How could UNSW be ranked higher than USYD...the ranking must not be accurate.... just joking....i think that it is great to see so many Australian universities recognised amongst the world's best, especially considering that USYD was ranked something like 151 last year.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
UAI cutoffs are retarded, because they are driven solely by popularity of courses amongst (to put it bluntly) horrifically ignorant high school students.

Not to offend you guys or anything, but you really have no idea what you're looking at in uni until you get here, and the saddest thing is there's no way to go back and FIX that...sorta like dying really - no idea what it's like until you've done it, and no way to tell people.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
My own regrets? I have absolutely no regrets about my choice of course. I am delighted with where I am and what I am doing. Even if I don't make my supreme goal of Medicine I will gladly finish my course.

That's something not every Law student can say, and I know it because I know them, and see what they go through. Until you have come to uni and done what I do, you are in no position to tell me what I regret.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
here here

Anyway, i believe our uni's would be of high standard because unlike in most other western countries where you can usually get a spot in A university doing your course over here we're so fuckn selective lol

Acid

HSC
How do they judge this though? Like if you think about it, how could you possibly tell which Uni is the best without actually sampling all of them? Sure, it's easy to pick a uni like Harvard for the first position, but how do you differentiate between the 200th and say the 196th?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
They use a critera. In the 500 one I think they rank the top university in the field 100% and then each uni has a % attributed to it. It is due to critera changing that you will get different results per listing.

Acid

HSC
LOL - Duh they use criteria! I was asking specifically what criteria they use...

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Minai said:
garr, UNSW beaten by the two Melbourne uni's..

but we beat Sydney Uni :p

(the USyd'ers will probably come up with something like "this ranking isn't accurate") lol
The vice-chancellor of the University of Sydney, Professor Gavin Brown, said he found the rankings list "totally mystifying".

HAHA

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Acid said:
LOL - Duh they use criteria! I was asking specifically what criteria they use...
From the article:

"The table ranks universities on the basis of a survey of 1,300 academics in 88 countries.

Other factors taken into account were the amount of cited research produced, the ratio of faculty to student numbers and an institution's attractiveness to foreign students and internationally renowned academics."

The other one (the 500 one) uses things like Alumni, Nobel Prize winners etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)