Sketching Snell's Law (1 Viewer)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I think it's sin r that goes on the x axis. That's what my textbook says. :\

undalay

HSC
Normally the independent variable is on the x-axis.
So that would be sin i?

dpospination

HSC
sin r goes on the x axis, and sin i on the y axis, because u need the gradient, rise over run to give u sneels law, and sin i/sin r is snells law and gradient. if u were graphiing angle i and angle r, then angle i is independat vairable and would go on the x axis, but in this case it is not.

angle of refraction is dependant on angle of incidence, but i dont think sin i is dependant on sin r

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Not quite sure what you managed to get from us - two of us said sin r, and another two said sin i. If anything, we just reinforced your doubt. :p

tanna

HSC
I always did sin r on the x-axis...and that's what our teacher told us

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Aerath said:
Not quite sure what you managed to get from us - two of us said sin r, and another two said sin i. If anything, we just reinforced your doubt. :p
Lol exactly what I was thinking :).

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
sikhman said:
i think the conclusion to draw is that it doesn't really matter....except if you were conducting an experiment, in which case independent variable always goes on x axis (according to what i've learnt)
Yeah, thats pretty much what i concluded to. Well what I got out of this was basically, that I could do either and prob wouldn't lose marks, which is basically my main concern.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
So what exactly is it? The-derivative how did you graph it in the end? I have a physics half yearly exam tomorrow and I know it'll pop up somewhere :D.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)