• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

slant asymptote (1 Viewer)

muttiah

Banned
HSC
how do i do the working out for this question to find the slant asymptote

x^2- 2 / (x+5)..

how do i do the working out to find slant asymptotes.. i know its divide by highest power of x in denominator.. but do i need to put lim as x > infinity...

what i do.. thanks..
and y does the asymptote appear if i divide by hghest powere of x

Last edited:

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
You could use long division or any other method you like, to get x2-2 = (x+5)(x-5) + 23, therefore (x2-2)/(x+5) = x-5 + 23/(x+5). Since the limit of this expression as x approaches +/- infinity is x-5 (as x+5 approaches +/-infinity when x approaches +/- infinity, thus 23/(x+5) approaches zero from above and below respectively), the oblique asymptote of this graph is y=x-5.

Dividing is just a method to make the oblique asymptote more apparent, it is merely rearranging the expression, nothing is changed about it. Essentially you're trying to get a constant over an expression that approaches infinity (thus the whole fraction approaches zero) as the variable approaches infinity, so the rest of the expression describes the values towards which the values of the graph approaches, as the variable approaches infinity.

muttiah

Banned
HSC
ok thanks for a good explanation.. i never knew that method.. i always divided by the highest power of x...

P

pLuvia

muttiah said:
ok thanks for a good explanation.. i never knew that method.. i always divided by the highest power of x...
That's for finding horizontal asymptotes

muttiah

Banned
HSC
but in the book when i divide by thew highest power of x. i got slant or parabola asymptote and on the answers they had the same thing :S

P

pLuvia

muttiah said:
but in the book when i divide by thew highest power of x. i got slant or parabola asymptote and on the answers they had the same thing :S
I thought you meant divide all terms by the highest power of x

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)