• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Smart to dumb! (1 Viewer)

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
Last year i came dux, came first in all but two of my subjects which i came second in! since last term ive spiraled down...and fast! last term i explained it on being burnt out.. and i was, i worked so hard in year 11 and by the time the start of my HSC assessments came i was just exhausted! but its still going.. im not doing well and this is the most important year of my schooling! is anyone else finding the same thing??

i feel completely lost and so stupid! because i expectso high of myself and my family and school expects me to do well and im not anymore.. im passing but passing is not kewl for me! im aiming for a uai of 90+ and if im getting marks like 59% for maths 3 unit and 4 unit (at least im consistently going bad) and 69% in chemistry then im not going to obtain it!

im gonna go back to tutoring but is anyone else in the same boat or has experienced the same thing.. if you have any advice please! im desperate! :confused: :confused: :(

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
I used to be amongst the top in year 10 advanced maths. I started to do 2 unit and hated it so I dropped to General, and then I started becoming dumber.
By the time I dropped general maths at the end of year 11 I was barely getting first and had crap marks.

Maths makes you dumber

Giant Lobster

HSC
Yeah there are a group of people at my school who try harder than necessary in junior years + prelim and always top stuff. Come year 12, everyone tries their best, and things start getting interesting...

Well anyway, the way I see it is simply: the tests are getting harder, everyone's getting better. All I can say is to try harder and if you still cant climb back to the top, then perhaps 1st place wasnt yours to begin with.

nike33

Originally posted by Giant Lobster
Yeah there are a group of people at my school who try harder than necessary in junior years + prelim and always top stuff. Come year 12, everyone tries their best, and things start getting interesting...

Well anyway, the way I see it is simply: the tests are getting harder, everyone's getting better. All I can say is to try harder and if you still cant climb back to the top, then perhaps 1st place wasnt yours to begin with.
yes some girls at my school that did excessive study / work yr7 -yr11 and were at the top that now cant cut it are like on the verge or nervous breakdowns..lol

G

Gavvvvvin

I came first in 4 subjects last year and overall second in year 11. Now I am one of the worst students. I put it down to the fact that school starts to wear a bit thin after 13 years . . .

santaslayer

HSC
these are only imternal marks atm. what IS important is the ranks. how is the calibre of the students in ur skool mazza?

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by mazza_728
Last year i came dux, came first in all but two of my subjects which i came second in! since last term ive spiraled down...and fast!

if you have any advice please! im desperate! :confused: :confused: :(
ok firstly, you go to cronulla high, what do you expect. secondly, i hate poeple like you that think they've got it down just because of yr 11. nobody cares. nobody tries in yr 11 seriously everyone who went crap turns it up and suddenly you realise being the teacher's pet doesn't pay off anymore. you were never good, you were just a try hard.

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
Dear skypryn,
How do u know i go to nulla? i wasnt the teachers pet in year 11 i worked my ass off and i deserved every single mark i got and im not saying ive "got it down just because of yr 11" im saying that im tired and drained and consequently im finding year 12 alot harder than year 11 and its no one elses fault but mine i know that .. but i still put in the work and i still study almost 3 hrs every night im just not retaining it! and how dare you say i was "never good, was just a try hard" you dont know me!

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
santaslayer : um yeah i go to cronulla - its a good school and there are smart kids there but its nothing compared to say st george girls or anything. we've got a range of students .. mostly average but there are some really smart chickens amongst us. Ive come in the top three for all my tests but sometimes there is a bit of a gap between them . e.g chemistry 92%, 74% and then me 69% and i normally use to be up at the top. I dont like chem this year but i know its cause im not putting in the work. as i said i intend to go back to tutoring and see if that will help!

KarmaKitten

HSC
santaslayer : um yeah i go to cronulla - its a good school and there are smart kids there but its nothing compared to say st george girls or anything. we've got a range of students .. mostly average but there are some really smart chickens amongst us. Ive come in the top three for all my tests but sometimes there is a bit of a gap between them . e.g chemistry 92%, 74% and then me 69% and i normally use to be up at the top. I dont like chem this year but i know its cause im not putting in the work. as i said i intend to go back to tutoring and see if that will help!
heh st george girls. i always forget people think we're "smart" i find us quite average, well atleast i am

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
yeah but being "average" at st george girls you dont realise that you're alot smarter than alot of other people! so dont worry .. you'll do great and congrats on going better in modern!

KarmaKitten

HSC
yeah but being "average" at st george girls you dont realise that you're alot smarter than alot of other people! so dont worry .. you'll do great and congrats on going better in modern!
aww shucks
good luck to you too! just dont worry about whats gone and try to relax and study smart etc. just focus on your next assessments

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
just stay focussed and remember y ur there. the hard work in yr 11 gives a good grounding for yr 12. hang in there and get more help from the teachers...its the only way to go. if ur feeling burnt out, then take a break, rethink things through and keep going. u said that u realise that this is the most important year....so dont give up now!

Winston

HSC
it happened to me too... well actually in yr 11 i was completely lazy and i did really good, then in yr 12 LOL i fink the fact that i knew it counted put me in nervous mode, then that fucked me up haha... i fink thats the cause, knowing that these assessments count and u cant fuck them up

Lundy

Banned
HSC
People are foolish to wear themselves out in yr 11. It doesn't count towards anything, and all it's there for is to basically be a practice run for the hsc. I used to hear people complaining "omg, I'm so stressed!," and all I'd be thinking was "you idiot."

Giant Lobster

HSC
Re: Re: Smart to dumb!

Originally posted by skypryn
ok firstly, you go to cronulla high, what do you expect. secondly, i hate poeple like you that think they've got it down just because of yr 11. nobody cares. nobody tries in yr 11 seriously everyone who went crap turns it up and suddenly you realise being the teacher's pet doesn't pay off anymore. you were never good, you were just a try hard.
hahaha way to go being blunt mate... well you said what I was tryin to say anyway so yeah :p

Ziff

HSC
N/A
In year 11 I got through with no effort.

In year 12 I'm getting through with a tad more effort but not by much.

Yay 7.30 report is on!

santaslayer

HSC
in yr 11 i put a lotta effort in...and ended up with pretty good marks (this was after a big bad academic record history from yrz 7-10)
in yr 12 i started to be slack but suprisingly, my ranks were better in yr 12 then prelim!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)