SMH Article (1 Viewer)

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
Sometimes even the best mathematics students in the state have trouble adding up.

"It wasn't hard. I just didn't time it right so I didn't answer it all," said David Yang, a student at James Ruse Agricultural High School, after emerging from the 4-unit mathematics exam yesterday.

His classmate Yu Heng Lau agreed it was a straightforward paper: "It's become easier than in the '90s - I think the examiners are running out of ideas."

In the 2-unit mathematics exam, however, students were flat out devising formulas for loan repayment schemes and salary increases. "I've been dreaming about superannuation," said Rachel Zhang, who has not paid superannuation in her life. "That was lucky because there was a lot of practical financial stuff on the paper, it was pretty hard."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...mean-high-marks/2005/10/24/1130006061406.html

VQ

HSC
Heiyaa...James Ruse, no wonder...

Anyway, talking about SMH, r the marks used to list ppl on distinguish achiever list (as in the newspaper) is the one aligned or just our raw marks? I mean, is it the 70/120 raw or the one scaled and arranged that it became around 80s/90s???

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
I honestly hate when the SMH just goes and asks ruse students about exams. They have the stupidest responses, look like the biggest idiots, and then get beaten by someone from a "Jock" school.
Welcome to 2003. Oh yeah.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
KeypadSDM said:
I honestly hate when the SMH just goes and asks ruse students about exams. They have the stupidest responses, look like the biggest idiots, and then get beaten by someone from a "Jock" school.

well, its easier to find the (potentially) best kid there than it is at a random school...

they probably just go there and go... who was the maths dux at ur school, in case of your year people said Jason Chung - so they interviewed him..

and well Mok owns science.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
haboozin said:
well, its easier to find the (potentially) best kid there than it is at a random school...

they probably just go there and go... who was the maths dux at ur school, in case of your year people said Jason Chung - so they interviewed him..

and well Mok owns science.
You pose a good point. But I have to say, 9 times out of 10 it's a stupid quote.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
KeypadSDM said:
You pose a good point. But I have to say, 9 times out of 10 it's a stupid quote.
well the bad arse schools in maths have been james ruse, syd grammar and syd boys.
and james ruse has been doing really well in the recent years, also whenever people here james ruse they go *drools*, so that itself makes the story more appealing.

redd

HSC
N/A
haboozin said:
"It wasn't hard. I just didn't time it right so I didn't answer it all," said David Yang, a student at James Ruse Agricultural High School, after emerging from the 4-unit mathematics exam yesterday.

His classmate Yu Heng Lau agreed it was a straightforward paper: "It's become easier than in the '90s - I think the examiners are running out of ideas."
ROFL.
"Hey lets go to James Ruse to gather an objective and accurate report on this years ext2 paper."

haboozin said:
also whenever people here james ruse they go *drools*
no

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Yeah they just wanted to make the 4u exam sound easy..

justchillin

HSC
haboozin said:
Sometimes even the best mathematics students in the state have trouble adding up.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...mean-high-marks/2005/10/24/1130006061406.html
That comments sickens me...they maintain typical arrogance even when they havent finished...Mr Yang, obviously if it wasn't hard then you would have finished it...

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
thats what lots of my friends said. They said the test was easy, just not much time.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
KeypadSDM said:
This is 2005.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I feel I should defend my old pal Yu Heng (however nerdy he may be!)... This is what he said to me in an email regarding it;

Yu Heng said:
ah it was a passing comment which was a bit of a joke...but trust the media to do what they like so thats ok actually id rather forget about 4u.. had a bad day
Besides, haven't you lot studied Frontline for English?

On another note, am I the only one who thinks that Rachel Zhang chick should become an accountant?! Even the real accountants don't dream of superannuation..... they're dreaming of IFRS =]

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
does anyone know how francis hui went? ever since he left normo all we know is that he is leet at ruse but nothing more.

justchillin

HSC
Keypad...we all know what happened in 2003, can u seriously get over HSC maths and stop visitng forums 2 years after saying how good u were back then...seriously get a life.

wah

HSC
N/A
justchillin said:
That comments sickens me...they maintain typical arrogance even when they havent finished...Mr Yang, obviously if it wasn't hard then you would have finished it...
No. The paper was long, though it was not extremely difficult for a 4U exam. I believe David Yang has said something that a lot of candidates would have felt about the exam.

justchillin: No need to get jealous over the attention these dudes are getting from the media. Maybe if you were put on the spot you would've said something even more arrogant. :p

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think it's kinda sad that the media have nothing better to do than to camp outside of JR waiting for them to finish the 4u paper. I guess it's interesting to hear what they have to say about it, but... the article included a photo of people's schoolbags? o_O

Estel

Tutor
HSC
justchillin said:
Keypad...we all know what happened in 2003, can u seriously get over HSC maths and stop visitng forums 2 years after saying how good u were back then...seriously get a life.
Beats saying people who can't get 97 shouldn't be doing the subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)