SMH: 'Police to hunt for missing [MQ] uni funds' (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

Police to hunt for missing uni funds

Harriet Alexander Higher Education Reporter
May 4, 2007

MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY has called in police to investigate the whereabouts of $100,000 believed to have gone missing from the student union's accounts.
Police yesterday interviewed staff on the campus after the university discovered the funds had apparently disappeared.

The discovery follows an investigation by the university's auditors, Deloitte, into the financial management of the student organisations.

The report was due to be presented to the university's council meeting today, but the president of both organisations, Victor Ma, had yet to respond to the auditors, despite being given a deadline of April 25.

Mr Ma, a member of the Liberal Party, is the president of the Macquarie University Students' Council, known as MUSC, and the union, known as SAM, which runs catering, child care, clubs, theatre and shops on campus.

His future as president of the student union is likely to be discussed by the university's councillors today, but although they have the power to sack him they cannot remove him from his elected position on the student council.

Deloitte's questions for Mr Ma, which have been obtained by the Herald, ask him to explain the movement of funds between the two organisations, the conditions under which salary increases are awarded and why requests by the university to provide financial documentation have been resisted.

The auditors also requested the identities and employment contracts of the council's eight staff members, who receive annual salaries ranging from $15,000 to $76,555.

It is believed staff salaries on the student council rose to more than $322,500 last year, despite the organisation's income plummeting from $689,384 to $218,762.

Mr Ma's stewardship of both organisations has been controversial, with questions raised in Parliament last year about his spending more than $2000 of student funds to buy a table at a Liberal Party fund-raiser.

He explained it as a "networking opportunity" at the time, and promised to pay it back. The auditors also asked whether that money had been returned. Mr Ma's political opponents at Macquarie have also complained about the running of elections since he was first delivered the presidency of the student council in 2003.

Elections were suspended in 2004, and when they returned in 2005 opposing candidates complained that he had been delivered to office by members of a private college attached to the university and given free membership of the council. Mr Ma insisted the election was valid.

Students complained last year that they had not been adequately notified of the deadline for nominations, that the election had been held during the exam period and The Australian Financial Review had been chosen as the advertising vessel.

According to Deloitte's questions for Mr Ma, voters fell from more than 2000 to just 300 during that election.

Macquarie University plans to merge the financially strapped council and union, along with the sports union.

Mr Ma could not be contacted for comment yesterday.

X

xeuyrawp

Nice. Hopefully the investigation is thorough and exposes his shady dealings.

iwannarock

HSC
looks like ma will make a perfect politician.

bright future ahead.

Phanatic

HSC
The Australian: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21668934-12332,00.html

Uni student fund audit sparks probe

• Bernard Lane
  • May 04, 2007
MACQUARIE University has called in police after an audit raised serious questions about management of hundreds of thousands of dollars in funds by student organisations.

Student politician Victor Ma has been asked by auditors Deloittes why he wanted to transfer "some $400,000" from one student body to another. Deloittes also raised the issue of the $76,555 salary paid to Mr Ma's wife, Wendy Kwai, a full-time Macquarie University Students Council staff member.
Mr Ma leads both the MUSC and the student services union, Students at Macquarie. He has also been asked about $2400 spent on a Liberal Party fundraising dinner and whether there were fictitious employees on the MUSC payroll.

Mr Ma did not return The Australian's calls yesterday.
Police in Eastwood confirmed they had been "called out to a tertiary institution in relation to the fraud matter (and were) currently conducting inquiries".

The audit is the third ordered by vice-chancellor Steven Schwartz since he took over last year from Di Yerbury. Previous audits have focused on travel and entertainment spending within the international office and the apparent intermixing of art owned by Professor Yerbury and Macquarie.

A whistleblower within student politics is believed to have alerted the university to irregularities at MUSC, which has a history of disputed elections. Macquarie had no comment but it is understood that its governing body, the University Council, will move today to remove Mr Ma from his post as president of SAM but lacks the power to unseat him as MUSC chairman.

One of the 16 questions put to Mr Ma asks whether the $2400 spent on sponsoring a table at a Liberal Party fundraiser last August had been repaid to SAM. SAM's constitution prohibits political donations.
Kyle Kutasi, SAM secretary and formerly a rising star in the NSW Young Liberals, told The Australian he was "unaware" whether the money had been repaid but he believed the SAM board had never ordered its repayment. Asked whether it was a political donation, he said: "It's a tough one - that's why we sought (legal) advice."

Sean Garman, a former Macquarie University Liberal Club president who boasted last year that "we have whipped the Left (at Macquarie) like how sadists whip masochists", resigned last week as vice-chairman of MUSC. "I have been helping the university in some ways with their investigation," he said yesterday.
Other questions put by letter last month to Mr Ma by Deloittes include whether MUSC is solvent; why MUSC revenue dropped from $689,384 in 2005 to $218,762 in 2006 while salaries rose from $277,501 to $322,509; why MUSC and SAM sent 11 delegates to a conference in Perth last year when most universities sent one to three delegates; why Mr Ma refused to supply the university with MUSC audited accounts for 2006; and whether a collapse of voter turnout in SAM elections was due to only a short time being allowed for nominations and the staging of elections during exams.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i hope they expose whatever there is to be exposed :angry:

CieL

HSC
They make him sound so dodgy....

Yet I seem so unaware of all this stuff happening.. even tho I go uni twice a wk

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i've probably gone to uni an average of 3-4 times a week for the past 3 1/4 years and i only know about it from this board.

ALLLICE

HSC
iambored said:
i've probably gone to uni an average of 3-4 times a week for the past 3 1/4 years and i only know about it from this board.
censorship!

it's all being hushed up!!!

why am i expecting victor ma to show up on Today Tonight after one of their shonky builders stories...that guy's just reeking of dodgyness

:(

X

xeuyrawp

Sean Garman, a former Macquarie University Liberal Club president who boasted last year that "we have whipped the Left (at Macquarie) like how sadists whip masochists", resigned last week as vice-chairman of MUSC.
YES!

I FUCKING HATE THAT SMUG BASTARD!

X

xeuyrawp

Cyan_phoeniX said:
Lol. That's a dumb thing to say, unless you want to be compared a sadist that is. He sounds like a smart arse.
hahah yeah I know.

What a lame analogy.

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
:O interesting i wanna see what happens next. Hope its goodbye MA!

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I found out about how evil Victor was from my b/f, he was part time at macq in 05 and when he saw my voting stuff told me all about him. I would have had no idea as would have many innocent first years. If I knew someone so evil was running, I would have run :)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
lol @ Sean hahahah....

I, too, would like to see Ma on TT and also ACA and then have Chaser make fun of both of their coverage. :D

X

xeuyrawp

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Macquarie University responds to mismanagement within its student organisations[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]May 4, 2007

At its meeting today, the Macquarie University Council responded to serious allegations of financial and fiduciary mismanagement within student organisations on campus by removing a number of student office bearers from their positions. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]The University Council resolved to immediately remove the President of the student association Students At Macquarie (SAM), Victor Ma, from his position, as well as certain other SAM Directors not appointed by the University or elected by SAM staff. The action was necessary to ensure that student fees collected by SAM were not misused.

Last month Macquarie’s internal auditors wrote to Mr Ma, who is also the President of the Macquarie University Student Council (MUSC), requesting responses to a range of allegations of mismanagement raised by whistleblowers (including failure to provide financial information to the University as required by the MUSC constitution). No response has been received.

Vice-Chancellor Professor Steven Schwartz said he was determined to ensure transparency and accountability for public funds within the University and its affiliated bodies.

Concerns were first raised about the financial management of MUSC in 2004 and an audit was subsequently carried out. Following this, steps were taken to address the issues raised. However, in recent times senior office-holders of the student council have come forward with information that led the University to launch a further investigation.

“The issues that led to the removal of the outgoing SAM President convince me of the urgent need to reform Macquarie’s main student bodies to ensure that they are transparent, accountable and properly represent the needs of students rather than the self-interests of elected officials,” Professor Schwartz said.

Last month Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Chief Operating Officer Paul Bowler wrote to all students advising them of the decision to merge the three existing student representative bodies – Macquarie University Sport and Recreation (MUSR), Students At Macquarie (SAM) and MUSC – to create a single body with significant student representation. MUSR has already demonstrated its commitment to the merger, while negotiations with SAM and MUSC continue. The process is on track to be completed by June 30.

Rather than three separate bodies with duplicated operational functions such as marketing, human resources and financial management, the new body will be run for the benefit of all students and shall ensure its operations are transparent and accountable, while at the same time allowing students a greater opportunity to influence the decision-making process.

[/SIZE][/FONT]
Any enquires from the media should be directed to:
Kathy Vozella phone: 98507456
email address: kathy.vozella@vc.mq.edu.au

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Hmm...it's a good development, but still, the damage has been done.

I guess it shows the apathy of the majority (though not all) uni student these days. If this happened in the 70's a lot of us would be storming the SAM and MUSC offices at the first suggestion that something dodgy was going on.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Its the lesser of two evils, those not so noticeably taking our money, and the HECS which are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)