• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

So confused now :( help please (1 Viewer)

boredofshit

HSC
N/A
Hey guys!
Im super confused on where to apply..
I made a post yesterday about my marks based on estimating hahah and I got my reports today and totally didnt expect 2 C's. I got a C for music and Pdhpe (i did however, get 100% marks in theory tests) and 1 B and all others were A's.
My averages were well above the grade average though.
My behaviour and attitudes was outstanding for all subjects (even the ones I got C's for)
Extra curricular activities are in the music side of things tho, Im more a vocal musician rather than the whole playing instruments woops. And plenty of leadership based activities in year 6 (idk if that counts..)
And im just really lost now.
Should I still apply for Baulkham Hills, Girraween and Penrith.
I also need a 4th school to apply for but im not sure which one.. any in mind?
Im in the Blacktown area of sydney so travelling is gonna be long distance wherever I apply. :confused2:
Applying for year 9 btw
Help would be strongly appreciated, thank you so much!

Nica

HSC
There isn't a sure way to tell wether you will get in to the schools you wish to apply for or not. When it comes to yr 8, 9 and 10 availabilities it is done on a basis of wether a current student has left the school. Mind you there is high competition for entry into those schools and they will prioritise other selective school students over other schools.

As long as you show you're a consistent student, there may be a good chance. The fact that you do extra curricular may benefit you though it could be better.

Most schools only wish to see achievements made in the past 12 months however you may get away with your yr 6 achievements.

Your best chance is to apply and see how everything goes. Even if you don't get in this year, there is always next year, and you have enough time to improve upon your application (eg get involved into more clubs, sports,community events etc).

Have you considered applying to Fort St?

All the best :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

boredofshit

HSC
N/A
Hey! thnx for replying. Fort St in petersham ey. Is it ranked pretty good?
sorry i have so many questions and im bothersome sorry!

Thing is, my current school offers next to no extra curricular activities.. Im going on a Music Tour with the school which partially counts as leadership too. But for some reason it wasnt written on my report. Im not sure how ill show evidence for that :/

Nica

HSC
Do you have any awards from that tour or a permission slip or any sort of documentation of the trip (if you are in that much of a need to prove it)?

Fort St does well in retrospect as it's in the top 20 schools when it comes to HSC (according to the 2013 results) . As long as you are in a school that's in the top 100 you are pretty much doing fine.

It's okay to ask questions. What has urged you to move from your current school anyway?

boredofshit

HSC
N/A
I think I have a permission slip. ill look into that further. I about 2 letters from local MP's commending me for leadership initiatives so I'll add that in too.
My current school is an independent school which is bordering very basic education... not many opportunities to push myself and excel. The only strong departments are English and Math. However, history, geography and science (better than the other two) are still lacking with a weak department and teachers with little experience. I think last year only about 4/5 students got an ATAR of above 90. I'd rather move now than later so I'll have time to adjust and everything.

So I think my current list of schools is going to be
1. Baulkham Hills
2. Girraween
3. Penrith
4. Fort St or Sefton

Im not sure if i should do Sefton or Fort St.. Sefton is partially selective and they mix the selective and non selective streams in the senior years.. so whats the point in that..

Fort St seems like its really difficult to get it. Would you say its about as difficult as Baulkham Hills?

sorry super long!

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
So I think my current list of schools is going to be
1. Baulkham Hills
2. Girraween
3. Penrith
4. Fort St or Sefton

Im not sure if i should do Sefton or Fort St.. Sefton is partially selective and they mix the selective and non selective streams in the senior years.. so whats the point in that..

Fort St seems like its really difficult to get it. Would you say its about as difficult as Baulkham Hills?

sorry super long!
Fort Street is higher ranked than both Girraween and Penrith from memory so yeah. However, if Girraween/Penrith is easier to get to for you (in terms of distance and travel) then I see why they would be higher placed on your preference list.

Your choice. I personally would put 3 fully selectives, 1 partial just to make sure.

Sefton, although partial selective, was ranked in the top 40 in the 2013 HSC (outranking 2 fully selective schools) so it's on the level of a fully selective school EVEN with a comprehensive stream.

Fort Street looks more at your entrance exam results while Baulko looks more at your application (academic reports, extra curricular, etc.) so they present their own challenges. Purely speaking, you'd think there would be more competitive applicants for Baulko compared to Fort Street since Baulko is a top 5 school --> so Baulko should be more difficult to get into.

EDIT: Nvm about the Fort Street entrance exam, you aren't applying for Year 11 entry. Yeah, your chances for Fort Street looks a bit better for sure at this stage if we consider the quantity and quality of applicants for both schools.

Last edited:

boredofshit

HSC
N/A
Fort Street is higher ranked than both Girraween and Penrith from memory so yeah. However, if Girraween/Penrith is easier to get to for you (in terms of distance and travel) then I see why they would be higher placed on your preference list.

Your choice. I personally would put 3 fully selectives, 1 partial just to make sure.

Sefton, although partial selective, was ranked in the top 40 in the 2013 HSC (outranking 2 fully selective schools) so it's on the level of a fully selective school EVEN with a comprehensive stream.

Fort Street looks more at your entrance exam results while Baulko looks more at your application (academic reports, extra curricular, etc.) so they present their own challenges. Purely speaking, you'd think there would be more competitive applicants for Baulko compared to Fort Street since Baulko is a top 5 school --> so Baulko should be more difficult to get into.

EDIT: Nvm about the Fort Street entrance exam, you aren't applying for Year 11 entry. Yeah, your chances for Fort Street looks a bit better for sure at this stage if we consider the quantity and quality of applicants for both schools.
so, should I replace Penrith with Fort St?
Cuz honestly travel time is all pretty much the same..
So theres no exam for entrance for year 9 entries?
and I think I'll have to write a piece of 500 words about some society thingy.. I think english is my forte so i could probably do that to a pretty good standard.

The list at this stage looks like
1. Baulkham Hills
2. Girraween
3. Fort St
4. Sefton

Looks good? and my bad I just noticed I said two C's. Ive got 1 C and 1 D and 1b and 6 As

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
so, should I replace Penrith with Fort St?
Cuz honestly travel time is all pretty much the same..
So theres no exam for entrance for year 9 entries?
and I think I'll have to write a piece of 500 words about some society thingy.. I think english is my forte so i could probably do that to a pretty good standard.

The list at this stage looks like
1. Baulkham Hills
2. Girraween
3. Fort St
4. Sefton

Looks good? and my bad I just noticed I said two C's. Ive got 1 C and 1 D and 1b and 6 As
Up to you. Do you like Penrith better or Fort Street better? It's seriously up to you.

Check on the Fort Street website to make sure but iirc, there's no entrance exam if you're applying for Year 9 entry.

Yes, that's the hand-in essay.

Your report is fine. It's not straight As but it's very very solid (could have been slightly better if that 1 C and 1 D were 2 Bs instead).

I can't predict your chances exactly but you have a shot at all of those schools.

boredofshit

HSC
N/A
Up to you. Do you like Penrith better or Fort Street better? It's seriously up to you.

Check on the Fort Street website to make sure but iirc, there's no entrance exam if you're applying for Year 9 entry.

Yes, that's the hand-in essay.

Your report is fine. It's not straight As but it's very very solid (could have been slightly better if that 1 C and 1 D were 2 Bs instead).

I can't predict your chances exactly but you have a shot at all of those schools.
hmm yea, i'll think about it. I feel like im leaning towards Fort St tho haha.
and like last question.. could the fact that im going on the music tour kinda make the D in music look not so horribly bad..?
I was sick for like 8 days and when I got back i focused on getting back in track for the important subjects that i was considering to choose next year :/

And thanks so much, Youve been a huge help!!! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)