so upset (1 Viewer)

DWE

I got very low school assessment mark in first term.That was 10% of my HSC mark.Do I still have chance to get a good mark?

ellebelle

Yeah 10% is nothing when you look at the big picture, just as long as your willing to keep putting in the effort and try really hard in the following assessment tasks.

I had the same horrible feelings when i failed a 10% art mark (i had a mental lapse and completely forgot the day it was due), but it encouraged me to put everything into my next assesment to make up for it. I ended up getting 100% and because it was worth a lot more, i'm ranked 1st!

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
pfft-10% is nothing!! Don't worry about it!
It will act as an incentive for you to work extra hard from now on!;)

yr12

HSC
Lets put things into perspective:

you buggered up 10% out of you assessment mark which is worth 50% of you HSC mark.

Get it?
NOTHING to sweat about. Keep an eye on your rank though because thats just as important

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Only 10% of the Assessment mark ... that is nothing! You still have a long way to go ... and many more opportunites to perform well ... For my first assessments (in 2002), I was near the bottom of two of my subject ... but a good second assessment which was worth the same, put me even! And anything can happen ... :)

yr12

HSC
are you trying to tell me that your assessment mark and exam mark aren't of equal value (after being moderated which is what I meant in the first place!)????

quote from BOS:

your moderated assessment mark and moderated exam mark are added together and averaged to produce a HSC mark.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by yr12
are you trying to tell me that your assessment mark and exam mark aren't of equal value (after being moderated which is what I meant in the first place!)????
I think he was questioning the validity of your other statement:
you buggered up 10% out of you assessment mark which is worth 50% of you HSC mark
If you were actually referring to the moderated assessment mark, this assessment task would not constitute 10% of it. :)

Whilst you can't simply trivialise assessment tasks that have lower weightings, a greater emphasis should ideally be placed on the assessment ranking as opposed to the assessment mark.

yr12

HSC
what I was trying to point out (and I think was quite clear a certain someone was just trying to make me look stupid) was that in the ends its not even going to end up as 10% of your final mark :apig:

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
Originally posted by Bon

Incorrect...

It's worth nothing to the HSC marks you'll get directly... What deterines what HSC marks you get is your ranking and the relative difference, but there is still 90% left of your assessment.
I don't understand.. so your assessment marks don't count, it's your rank that counts?

Twintip

Yep, and the gap your assessment marks put between you and the ranks either side of you I think (or just one rank if you're first or last). The marks themselves mean nothing because some schools mark easier than others in internal assessments. They are only used to rank the students of a particular school, and then their results in the HSC exam as a group determine how much their assessment marks are scaled. The idea is that it all ends up fair. :)

Actually there's a bit more to it, like if you get the no. 1 rank but someone else gets the top exam mark, you get their exam mark but your assessment mark is altered in relation to theirs (this isn't the scaling process and it's why it's called a moderated assessment mark). But I don't think it's necessary to delve into all that again for the purposes of this thread. :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Twintip
Actually there's a bit more to it, like if you get the no. 1 rank but someone else gets the top exam mark, you get their exam mark but your assessment mark is altered in relation to theirs (this isn't the scaling process and it's why it's called a moderated assessment mark). But I don't think it's necessary to delve into all that again for the purposes of this thread. :)
Just to correct u.
If u are ranked first, and someone else gets the top exam mark, u get their exam mark as ur assessment mark, and hence that becomes the highest assessment mark in ur cohort, and the rest of the marks are distributed under that mark.

eg.
Tom - ranked 1st
Jess - ranked 5th
and the competiton is tight (ie the assessment marks were very close between all the students in the subject)

Tom gets 90 for his exam
Jess gets 99 for her exam

therfore, Tom's marks become:
Exam Mark: 90
Assessment Mark: 99
HSC Mark: 95

and Jess' marks are:
Exam Mark: 99
Assessment Mark: 96 (this depends, im jus giving a figure)
HSC Mark: 98

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Eep. That's scary (or... it would be if I was doing the HSC this year).

Umm... Minai, that avatar's scaring me. You're a dark-haired bloke, not a smiling brown/red-haired-ish chick.

Well... Last time I looked, at least. :eek:

[Edit - Hair colour]

Twintip

Yep, nice example. I guess that's what 2:30am will do to my brain. :eek: What I should have said.

Originally posted by Twintip
Actually there's a bit more to it, like if you get the no. 1 rank but someone else gets the top exam mark, you get their exam mark as your assessment mark.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by hurrotisrobbo
Eep. That's scary (or... it would be if I was doing the HSC this year).

Umm... Minai, that avatar's scaring me. You're a dark-haired bloke, not a smiling brown/red-haired-ish chick.

Well... Last time I looked, at least. :eek:

[Edit - Hair colour]
sorry Rob, I had a sex change over the holiday break
and a race change
:p

and Twintip - yeah mayb I shouldve checked ur time of post
lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)