So what does IPT actually involve? (1 Viewer)

Jehuty

HSC
There weren't enough people for a SDD class (and I'm assuming programming gets done in that subject?), so the only computer related subjects left were IPT and Computer Applications. Seeing as I would probably drop a subject in Year 12, I thought I might just take the easier subject and focus my efforts on my harder subjects. But I'm really leaning towards Computer Science/IT in Uni, so I thought maybe I should transfer to IPT.

Kat92

HSC
There weren't enough people for a SDD class (and I'm assuming programming gets done in that subject?), so the only computer related subjects left were IPT and Computer Applications. Seeing as I would probably drop a subject in Year 12, I thought I might just take the easier subject and focus my efforts on my harder subjects. But I'm really leaning towards Computer Science/IT in Uni, so I thought maybe I should transfer to IPT.
It involves dealing with the 7 information processes in regards to a variety of IS's. IPT, also allows you to deal with a variety of different hardware and software components. If you are considering Computer Science/IT at Uni, definitely consider IPT over computer applications. Computer Application's, being for people of whom have had no prior experience with computer's. As far as I know I think that Computer Applications involves learning the basic foundations of Office,etc.

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
I've never heard of Computer Applications. IPT is fairly boring. It's a business based computers subject. Expect little to none practical. Of the practical involved it is database work. You learn about data and how it transforms in to information. Your IPT life is dependent on the 7 processes. Collecting data, organising data, storing and retrieving data, analysing data, processing data, storing and retrieving information and displaying information.

It's a very scenario based subject. Very little subject content that is taught is tested. It's pretty much implementing IT into a business with not much focus on business. One would say its a bloody useless subject. Don't let post school choices affect this one. Computer Science is much more maths + programming based compared to IPT.

Hannargh

HSC
This class is full of shit, and lots of time is wasted due to the fact that very few people are fully interested in it and are good at it.

I learnt that through 1 1/2 years of that class, not so fun.

Mjontrix

Premium Member
HSC
^ above.

Agreed. If there only ends up being around 5-6 students in my class, we'd at least have a blast doing everything in 1 term, and revising the rest ;)

Seriously, didn't people know they had to at least know HOW to use a database wizard?

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
There are 3 core topics and an option,

Project work- a major done over the course of a year, worth about 40% of your HSC mark. Ours is related to databases.
Databases and management - basically using databases as an organisational tool and its roles in companies, relating databases to the 7 processes.
Communication systems - protocols, topology, error detection methods, LANs/WANs, extranets and data transmission.

Options are, multimedia, automated manufacturing systems, decision support systems and transaction processing systems.

It's pretty easy and sort of interesting.

HSC
Uni Grad
There are 3 core topics and an option,

Project work- a major done over the course of a year, worth about 40% of your HSC mark. Ours is related to databases.
Databases and management - basically using databases as an organisational tool and its roles in companies, relating databases to the 7 processes.
Communication systems - protocols, topology, error detection methods, LANs/WANs, extranets and data transmission.

Options are, multimedia, automated manufacturing systems, decision support systems and transaction processing systems.

It's pretty easy and sort of interesting.
This.
I found it a pretty awesome subject, plenty of practical, however if you have a shit teacher they will use the fact that it's possible to teach the course without using the computers against you.

M3H

B.a.n.n.e.d
HSC
it involvz lernin abt da systimz in da worldd

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
I notice in your sig you went with computing applications over ipt :S, what happened?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)