So what EXACTLY do we talk abt here? (1 Viewer)

rsingh

HSC
Hey guys, I'm having a little trouble in getting my head around as to what exactly what we're talking abt in this module.
I'm doing Emma/Clueless, and I've been told that we're talking abt the contexts of each text, and that the different values in both texts reflect the different contexts?

Is that right?
Regardless, so where do we incorporate techniques/examples/quotes and for what reason (like, to say what)?

Any help would be highly appreciated!
Thanks.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
you'll find that the values are similar in both texts while contexts are different.

HSC
N/A
Jago said:
you'll find that the values are similar in both texts while contexts are different.
Or, you could find that there are different "applied" values. Remember, when a reader reads a text, they're not always going to "interpret" the same meaning the author intended when they wrote it. Like, I could paint a sunflower right now, and I'd think it was a pretty Sunflower, emphasis on sun, light, and all things good and yellow. Someone else could interpret it as an Ode to Van Gogh (omg! That rhymed! I'm so good! haha... *kick* ok that's enough glitter) about ten years later.

And then we look at immediate personal/historical context... at the time I painted my sunflower, one of ... ok, don't want to tempt fate here. Let's just say a LEAF that I was very fond of died, and I buried it under sunflowers. So then we can talk about shining lights at the end of tunnels, yadda yadda.

What you want to look at - essentially - is how the text is valued in different contexts. Look at what's going on at the time, the sorts of things that can influence what type of value conveyed to an audience.

pig_93

HSC
its how an appropriation of a text can transcent time to become relevant to audiences in diff contexts

Aimz- Lou.

you need to talk about the different values and contexts. You were right to begin with. The context and values of each individual text, and a comparison of the way they have affected the method of production, the themes (or perhaps the way they are represented) and the events or ideas represented, and the way this occurs.

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
and then considering some examples of techniques from each text to show the similarities and differences.

For example, techniques used to show difference in contexts....

Clueless e.g.

the opening montage of vibrant colours ironically presented as a "noxema commercial", and the use of music, such as David Bowie's 'Fashion Girl' can establish the context - comical, fun, materialistic etc....

Emma e.g.

Through Austen's extensively descriptive passages and the use of satire throughout, she paints the picture of the early 19th century world that Emma lives in, wealthy, prejudiced....

Last edited:

rsingh

HSC
Hey guys, sorry for my extremely late reply!
Thanks for that, that was really helpful!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)