• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

sociology (2 Viewers)

ballin

Banned
HSC
anyone majored / majoring / doing senior units in this ?? really need some advice as to whether i should make it my major or not?

Miss Winey

HSC
I thought about majoring in this.
but i eventually just chose whatever subjects that interested me and tried to pick a major furthur into the degree.
you don't have to decide what your major is until furthur into the degree.
NO STRESS :)

HSC
You dont particularly strike me as someone who'd like sociology (not that i know you v. well). It's quite left wing, with a lot of feminism, marxism, multiculturalism, postmodernism, social justice etc.

If you're interested, maybe go to fisher library and find a sociology textbook to flick through - see if you like it. In first year I used:

University of Sydney Library /All Locations

ballin

Banned
HSC
maybe i should give a little bit more info. Im looking for something that would complement my law degree and so far ive narrowed it down to philosophy, govt, and sociology.

philosophy is heaps interesting but i just dont see what i could do with it, in the practical sense.

government is also interesting but the junior lecturers ruined it for me.. it was so boring last year. plus there arent too many senior units i can take in it.

sociology in the end is both interesting and enjoyable, and i can see it being applicable in answering the "why is society this way" questions. my only complaint from last year was that it was a bit .. girly?

hope this helps..

and btw, can we take sclg 2xxx units in 3rd year? because there are a few subjects i didnt take this year because i was hoping i could do them next year.

HSC
Oh sorry I thought you were a first year student :(

You can take 2000 level sociology units in third year- and you are not required to take any 3000 level sociology unit unless you want to do SCLG honours.

If you have a law degree, I don't know that your Arts major matters too much in terms of practicality...

All sociology units are girly.

ballin

Banned
HSC
well it matters to me to the extent that i dont want to be studying an arts subject that is totally unrelated to law... since thats just a personal thing of mine, i like to keep my mind in the same strand. how did you find the senior sclg subjects? because on paper they look really interesting, particularly social construction of difference, sociology of knowledge and law and social theory / crime and punishment. I really like the look of these, but I'd like to hear your take on it.

Btw, I wouldnt have picked myself as someone who liked sociology either, but the junior subjects struck a chord with me, and I was pretty outspoken in the tutorials (unlike me usually). But maybe this is all because i just want to see Alec Pemberton again <3.

HSC
I've never had Alec for a tute before - he seemed alright in a guest lecture that he gave, but a little boring. Maybe he's someone who you need to talk to to like.

Unfortunately, I haven't done any of the senior sociology courses that you're interested in. Which is quite surprising because I've done a lot of sociology :( If you want to see my thoughts on other senior sociology subjects, you can look through this topic here

http://community.boredofstudies.org...4/subject-reviews-pdf-updated-17-01-09-a.html

kay90

HSC
You dont particularly strike me as someone who'd like sociology (not that i know you v. well). It's quite left wing, with a lot of feminism, marxism, multiculturalism, postmodernism, social justice etc.

If you're interested, maybe go to fisher library and find a sociology textbook to flick through - see if you like it. In first year I used:

University of Sydney Library /All Locations

pls tell me more about sociology as a unit in first year!

HSC
It's all sociological and stuff

I'm not sure who's taking it this year...

It is a massive amount of reading. We had two textbooks and a course reader - never had to read so much in my uni career.

People tend to find it a little bit rushed - the aim is to give you an overview of sociology in general, so you look at massive topics in one lecture and then never again for the rest of the semester.

Ummm...I don't know what else to say :(

McMizza

Sociology/Psyc UniStudent
HSC
how did you find the senior sclg subjects? because on paper they look really interesting, particularly social construction of difference, sociology of knowledge and law and social theory / crime and punishment. I really like the look of these, but I'd like to hear your take on it.
Hey,
SCLG of difference and SCLG of crime and punishment are fantastic subjects. Haven't done the others you mentioned.
I really really recommend crime and punishment, it's not girly at all, and the lecturer, Rebecca is awsome (funny and informative).

You may like SCLG of inequality, its got a bit of a political spin to it, but that's probably the most 'girly' out of the three.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)