Software (1 Viewer)

Collin

HSC
N/A
I made the mistake of not choosing something computerish for semester 1, because obviously if I wanted to head towards the computer field in year 2, I should of done some first year computer subjects as prerequisites. (Just like saying how if I wanted to do the 2nd year Linear Algebra course, then I would of had to do the first year linear algebra course), so I was wondering if most of the just general computer subjects which ran this semester will be running in semester two?

This thread is mostly targeted at people like Carl and Winston who are doing software this semester.

And people who do the computer subjects are generally required or atleast advised to have their own laptops?

eneleon

Plain Insane
HSC
Originally posted by JKDDragon
I made the mistake of not choosing something computerish for semester 1, because obviously if I wanted to head towards the computer field in year 2, I should of done some first year computer subjects as prerequisites. (Just like saying how if I wanted to do the 2nd year Linear Algebra course, then I would of had to do the first year linear algebra course), so I was wondering if most of the just general computer subjects which ran this semester will be running in semester two?

This thread is mostly targeted at people like Carl and Winston who are doing software this semester.

And people who do the computer subjects are generally required or atleast advised to have their own laptops?
im doin SOFT1001 in semester two, so I WOULD THINK THAT THEY RUN THE COURSES IN SEMESTER TWO =P

a disadvantage however is that you might get stuck with me. BWAHAHA

i imagine you don't NEED to have a laptop, being in the bdes comp course, only about six of us out of like 38 bring laptops to class... =0D!

Collin

HSC
N/A
Since you're doing 1001, i'll go and do 1901.

Winston

HSC
lol are u serious collin? well as eneleon said yeah its offered in semester 2, dont worry u didnt miss out much.... all u need first year is the 4 maths and soft 1001 and 1002 as the pre-reqs :)... other than that nothing... and trust me u two soft 1001 is about the easiest subject that existed at usyd.

eneleon

Plain Insane
HSC
Originally posted by Winston
and trust me u two soft 1001 is about the easiest subject that existed at usyd.
Uhh, something about the words trust, and winston don't quite seem to go together.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by eneleon
Uhh, something about the words trust, and winston don't quite seem to go together.
lol... well it works for me :)...

eneleon

Plain Insane
HSC
we did some processing, and i found that so effing difficult. i dunno how im gonna survive next sem. MAYBE WINSTON WOULD LIKE TO BE MY TUTOR =P lol or, alternatively, lend me his assignments, and stuff.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by eneleon
we did some processing, and i found that so effing difficult. i dunno how im gonna survive next sem. MAYBE WINSTON WOULD LIKE TO BE MY TUTOR =P lol or, alternatively, lend me his assignments, and stuff.
i dont know if its gonna be the same next sem, but i can help... but ummm i didnt do all the soft 1001 quizes cause advance doesnt do the quizes they did replacement assignments so yeah.

eneleon

Plain Insane
HSC
i dont know if its gonna be the same next sem, but i can help... but ummm i didnt do all the soft 1001 quizes cause advance doesnt do the quizes they did replacement assignments so yeah.

was only joking. IN ANY CASE.

Collin

HSC
N/A
lol are u serious collin? well as eneleon said yeah its offered in semester 2, dont worry u didnt miss out much.... all u need first year is the 4 maths and soft 1001 and 1002 as the pre-reqs :)... other than that nothing... and trust me u two soft 1001 is about the easiest subject that existed at usyd.
Oh I see, so that means you're doing SOFT1902 in semester 2 right? Is SOFT1902 supposed to build upon SOFT1901, i.e would it be a good idea for me to do SOFT1901 and SOFT1902 at the same time (sem 2), and not having to worry about say something done in week 1 of SOFT1902 which required some knowledge gained in week 10 of SOFT1901 or something like that?

I did Information Technology in year 11 and did the HSC Software Design and Development course.. if that's any help.

And are there any other computer subjects for year 1? Like maybe something more concerned with hardware perhaps. :)

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by JKDDragon
Oh I see, so that means you're doing SOFT1902 in semester 2 right? Is SOFT1902 supposed to build upon SOFT1901, i.e would it be a good idea for me to do SOFT1901 and SOFT1902 at the same time (sem 2), and not having to worry about say something done in week 1 of SOFT1902 which required some knowledge gained in week 10 of SOFT1901 or something like that?

I did Information Technology in year 11 and did the HSC Software Design and Development course.. if that's any help.

And are there any other computer subjects for year 1? Like maybe something more concerned with hardware perhaps. :)
ummmmm ok... to do 1002/1902 u need to do 1001/1901 first, if u havent done it, u cant do it in parallel.

ummm im still deciding if i should bother to go in 1902, heh but to go in 1902 u have to maintain a distinction in 1901, im averaging a HD right now... so yeah.

ummmm ITS wont help u out, SDD however MIGHT!... but that depends how much you absorbed in that time... i think i learnt alot in SDD to actually cover my knowledge in the course and let me sail as a easy as.

More hardware related? If you're into hardware you should probably go for Electrical Engineering, i'm doing ELEC 1101 foundation of computer systems, Carl's doing it too... it's fucked for me, i hate it lol... if you did the software developers view of hardware for ur option in SDD, remember logic gates etc? well... its alot harder than that option, and alot of ppl are behind, i think its about the hardest of it all.

One more thing why the sudden change to computers? Are you trying to chuck a carl and be like me? :p...

oh forgot to mention, to have admission into 1901

you either have to be doing

BIT, BCST Advance or attain a UAI greater than 94.55.

Or when you get your Assignment 1 in 1001 you have to get at least a distinction for it, and then you can apply to change to 1901, which is what i did.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)