Solicitors higher income?? (1 Viewer)

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I was in my criminal tute this morning, and my tutor is a criminal and civil barrister. He's just 'won' his two cases to the court of criminal appeal (which apparently is rare), and just seems generally with it, so I'm assuming he's a reputible source.

He was just talking about the various positions he's been in, and was talking about income. He said that, and I quote, that if you want to earn high dollars, "stick to being a solicitor". He said that being a barrister is 'morally' rewarding, but its a lot of work for no monetary rewards unless you become a QC.... I was just under the assumption that barristers earnt more money due to... well, I dont really know! Because they are more qualified?

Has anyone else heard this?

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
When I did work experience, I did 2 days with a solicitor and 3 with a barrister.

The solicitor basically said that there were too many barristers and that solicitors who stuck at it made more money.

The barrister said there were too many 'junior' solicitors and the only way to get the dosh was to go 'barristerial' and stick at it.

Grass/Green

X

xeuyrawp

I've heard that, although Barristers can charge a huge amount per hour, it's generally more common (dare I say "easier") to earn good money as a solicitor. It's important to note that a Barrister's work will be much more conditional and capricious than a solicitor who gets a bi-monthly cheque.

Barristers work hugely, too, I mean they get so involved in their cases. Also, you can't bludge as much at the bar, I'd guess. At a big firm, or as an owner of one, you could do your share of delegation and procrastination.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yes, I could never be a defence lawyer.

Occassionally I get the urge to be a prosecutor, I enjoy the litigation side of things and I think I would be particularly suited to trial process

but I haven't found myself too attuned with Crim. I think commercial law will be it for me.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
bearpooh said:
Plus you have to hang around with crims and their associates.
Even worse, you have to defend them.

Imagine defending that wife-murderer Korp....
one of the things that we as lawyers must learn, that in principle, everyone ought to be represented and ought to heard without prejudice.

but what does that mean?

for a lawyer may have a strong suspicion, or indeed know, that his client may be factually guilty, but tis not our role to judge that fact. thus, in principle, the client is legally innocent until proven otherwise.

and we are not the arbiters of that fact.

we are officers of the court, and our sworn duty is to represent our client dispassionately and without prejudice, and ensuring justice is done under the law.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:
Criminal law doesn't pay too well... commercial law is where it's at
yeah...I wanna be a commercial lawyer rather than a criminal one. Aside from the money, I think it will go well with the business side of my degree.

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
thats what makes a good lawyer...being able to dig someone out of the shit...like imagine sticking your hands in shit!

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
as can be seen in 'the justice game,' 'the advocate, to save that client, to protect that client at all hazards, at all costs.' and also in addition a lawyer, though they stuff up, are not bound to being sued.

but the best part is that if you think about it, lawyers tend to want to settle outside of court. 'first rule is to avoid court at all costs, second is to win, thrid is that there must be a moral.'

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Something like over 95% of cases are settled before the matter goes to court

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
wrong_turn said:
as can be seen in 'the justice game,' 'the advocate, to save that client, to protect that client at all hazards, at all costs.' and also in addition a lawyer, though they stuff up, are not bound to being sued.
you first sentence is incomplete.

secondly, a solicitor, or a barrister who is undertaking work similar to a solicitor (eg giving advice), is liable in negligence.

X

xeuyrawp

Frigid said:
secondly, a solicitor, or a barrister who is undertaking work similar to a solicitor (eg giving advice), is liable in negligence.
Hence huge insurance costs.

santaslayer

HSC
wrong_turn said:

but the best part is that if you think about it, lawyers tend to want to settle outside of court. 'first rule is to avoid court at all costs, second is to win, thrid is that there must be a moral.'
Lawyers, if it was REALLY up to them, would want everything to end up in courts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)