• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Solubility rules --> data sheet (1 Viewer)

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
Our teacher told us it isn't necessary to memorise the solubility rules cause it will be given to you in the hsc. But i don't see no solubility rules in the data sheet. Do they only give it to us if we get asked a question where we need to refer to it?

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
i suggest you learn the solubility rules, i have seen exam q's where they don't give you the rules and you require to know them

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
yea... at least know the basic one's, and common one's...

even if they do give u the sheet, it's much more convenvient to know it...

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
No, they don't usually give them to you i don't think, you should remember at least the ones in conquoring chem

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
They certainly didn't give any solubility rules sheet with the 2001, 2002, or 2003 HSC's, nor with the Specimen Paper, nor with any Trial from the past 3 years that I have seen.

A

abdo

Li0n said:
Our teacher told us it isn't necessary to memorise the solubility rules cause it will be given to you in the hsc. But i don't see no solubility rules in the data sheet. Do they only give it to us if we get asked a question where we need to refer to it?
i 'think' they do... maybe not all the times but for them hard ones they do.

Paroissien

HSC
What is this Conquering Chemistry text book I have heard so much about?

edd91

HSC
Paroissien said:
What is this Conquering Chemistry text book I have heard so much about?
A chemistry textbook entitled 'Conquering Chemistry' ???

Paroissien

HSC
Thanks, I guessed that much. What I mean is it the a standard chemistry text book for many schools, or just another study guide?

Lou_86

pro procrastinator
HSC
its a study guide...our school uses Chemistry Contexts, but we supplement it with the macquarie revision guides and conquering chem..

Paroissien

HSC
Ok. Our school uses Chemistry Pathways, but I was just worried I was missing out. No matter

Lou_86

pro procrastinator
HSC
yeah u should still get it...its a pretty good textbook.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
I disagree with Lou_86 - Conquering Chemistry is the standard Chemistry text book used by many schools. It is written by Roland Smith, who used to be an academic at Macquarie University. It is not just a study guide. (If you've seen it, it is orange coloured, and includes only three of the electives - Industrial, Forensic and Shipwrecks.) There is also a website that indicates what material is no longer relevant given the syllabus changes that have occurred since 2001.

Of the three standard textbooks (the others being the one by Thickett and the one by Irwin, Farrelly, Garnett and the fourth person whose name I can never remember), it is the one I prefer. This is not to suggest that the others are not adequate / acceptable / good - but if you are using one of the others, and having trouble understansing it / think another text book would help, then Smith is certainly worth considering.

Lou_86

pro procrastinator
HSC
haha my bad..yeah it is a textbook, i know that. It goes to heaps of detail, the only reason i referred to it as a study guide is because it's not our set school textbook...sorry!!

A

abdo

CM_Tutor said:
I disagree with Lou_86 - Conquering Chemistry is the standard Chemistry text book used by many schools. It is written by Roland Smith, who used to be an academic at Macquarie University. It is not just a study guide. (If you've seen it, it is orange coloured, and includes only three of the electives - Industrial, Forensic and Shipwrecks.) There is also a website that indicates what material is no longer relevant given the syllabus changes that have occurred since 2001.
best bloody hsc text book for any subject i ever used, although math in focus is catching up...

edit: mr roland smith claims that the title conquering chemistry can be interpreted in 2 ways, how? does anyone know?

Last edited by a moderator:

kpq_sniper017

from a preliminary chemistry perspective:
we use chemistry pathways (year 11) (which IMO is kinda crappy).
conquering chemistry is good for info, but the pages are all out of whack i.e. not in the order of the syllabus which makes it a bit confusing.
chemistry contexts is probably the best textbook.
the macquarie revision guide is like a textbook...it answers just about everything on the prelim. syllabus - don't even need a textbook really.

Paroissien

HSC
No problem. I understood what you meant, and I think I will have to get it

steverulz55

HSC
IMO, Conquering Chemistry >>>> Chemistry Pathways, which doesn't even stick to the syllabus (the latter)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)